AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to projectors, etc, but I've decided to purchase on. I am on a tight budget (2200-2300), but since I'll be moving up from a 27" TV, even the budget models are a huge improvement.

I have researched the Sanyo PLC-SW10, which has been mentioned on this forum. It says it's HDTV compatible; should I be concerned that the XGA is "compressed", or does that matter? Should I be concerned that 700 lumens is low, or does that matter (the room is essentially pitch black as it is).

Will I likely need to get a line doubler for viewing?

Any other options any of you know about would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I used to own a Sanyo SU07 which I assume is pretty simialr from the specs. You probably won't need a doubler as the internal scaler was very good. I wouldn't worry about the XGA thing. HDTV will not be shown at anything close to full resolution, but most projectors don't anyway.

700 should be fine in pi0tch blackness.

Steve

·
Registered
93 Posts
Steve,

Yo Steve! How many projectors do you currently own? I know you have a PG-M10S, a VT440, etc.

Just curious...

Tnx - Sonny B.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

If projectors don't show at close to HDTV quality, should I just wait until HDTV's come down in price? Is it a tradeoff between screen size and picture quality?

Also, if I get a projector, is a ceiling mount possible on a pitched (cathedral) ceiling?

Sorry for the basic questions.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I did some more reading, and another suggestion is the

Mitsubishi SA51. The Mitsubishi has a built-in line doubler, but runs a couple of hundred dollars more. Also, one reviewer claimed that that the Mitsubishi has better focus, but the colors on the Sanyo are better.

I looked into the Sony, but the website I looked at said that one wasn't HDTV compatible. Does that matter? I am also concerned about its keystone correction, since I'll likely mount it on a ceiling or possibly the back wall.

Lastly, do the general rules of consumer electronics apply in terms of projectors? For instance, Sony and Mitsubishi have great reps in terms of TVs, but Sanyo doesn't necessarily. Does this apply to projectors?

·
Registered
158 Posts
All LCD projector have line doublers. LCD panels require it.

The Sanyo uses the sony .7" LCD panels so you may want to look at the CS1 or CX1. Both will take an HDTV signal. The Sony projectors can not be ceiling mounted however.

Avery

------------------

My HT Pics http://members.aol.com/thxavery/

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Avery and car-rod,

Thanks for the info. on the VPL-CX1. I don't quite understand why the web sites say it's not HDTV compatible, even though it runs XGA (and the Sanyo model runs it compressed, yet is allegedly HDTV compatible).

If it's not ceiling mountable, could I mount it on a shelf near the ceiling? What are my options?

BTW Avery, I love those pics! You've got a cool setup going.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The CX1 has a "bottom" focus. Meaning that as you zoom, the image expands up. The closer you can get it to the middle of the screen or lower the better. The zoom is also a limiting factor with the CS1/CX1. It does depend on the screen size you want. For 100" diag the max distance from the screen is about 17 feet for the Sony.

Here is a review of the Sony's HDTV capabilities. http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...d,17387,00.asp

Glad you liked my setup. Happy hunting.

Avery

------------------

My HT Pics http://members.aol.com/thxavery/

[This message has been edited by thxave (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I just received a JVC DILA G1000 I bought off of eBay for $3600, $3855 after shpping and escrow. Works great with a DTC100. I strongly recommend it for newbies if they can find a similar deal.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I feel we will find lots of Sony vw10ht in the second hand market soon when the new 16/9 projectors will be widely available, mainly after the vw11ht release.

If those new projectors perform much better, hoppefully, while keeping a similar price as the vw10ht, expect to be able to do great deals.

You'll then have all: HDTV, 16/9, ceiling mount capability, etc.

Carlos

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys.

Question: the sony VPL-cs10 looks to be ceiling mountable with SVGA resolution. The VPL-CX1 has true XGA resolution, but less lumens (550 vs. 1000). Will the CX1 have a better picutre than the cs-10, if it's placed close to a ceiling? Unfortunately, the X-10 looks to be out of my price range.

·
Registered
93 Posts
bcmagog,

You might want to check out the Canon LV-5100. It's a clone of the Sanyo PLC-SW10 and it's available from eCost.com for $1,748.98 only.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/...sp?dpno=957066

Cheers,

Sonny

[This message has been edited by sonny b (edited 05-20-2001).]

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Sonny. That looks like the one I need given the way I want to mount it. Hope the picture looks decent.

I guess a 1.5 gain screen would be about right for this projector?

·
Registered
93 Posts
bcmagog,

Let me know how the Canon performs. I've been considering this projector and/or the Sanyo SW10. There's a Canon dealer here in Riyadh but they don't carry the LV-5100. I haven't found a local Sanyo dealer as well. I'll probably try to import the projector from the US.

I looked at the Sony CS2, the Sharp PG-M10S and another model from Panasonic but these were all desktop models... not ceiling mountable.

I hear the Sanyo's are okay...average blacks but very good color saturation. And many say the internal scaler is superb. If the Canons are true clones, then performance should be about the same.

Keep me posted.

Tnx - Sonny

BTW, here's a link to the LV-5100 page on the Canon website. You can download the complete User's Manual by clicking the link to the PDF Formatted Product Instructions.
http://www.canondv.com/canonprojecto...s/lv5100.html#

[This message has been edited by sonny b (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the Sony vpl-cx1 can except componant imput from a dvd player into the D-sub socket, if so how do you find the picture quality compared to S-vhs. And where can I get a lead from.

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I have a VPL-CX1. It can do component IF you by a VGA-->Component breakout cable ($35-99 depending on brand). You have to change the menu to Component instead of RGB for Input1. I personally uses HTPC with much improved picture. If you were to use set-top box DVD player, component will have a slight advantage over Svideo. I ran my nonprogressive Toshiba DVD player via 50 foot Belkin Silver series ($27 at www.CDW.com ) and the image was great. HTPC was better of course. The advantage of using Svideo or component over RGB is you can control the colors and 16:9 aspect ratio. Of course for HTPC you don't need them as you can control the colors on overlay control and aspect ratio will be set by your software player (WinDVD, PowerDVD, or Cinemaster 2000). If you run component from a PROGRESSIVE set top box player then the image will be better than Svideo. If your player is non-progressive or interlaced, save your money (component cables are expensive) and stick with a good Svideo cable as the improvement will be marginal. If you want top quality imaging, then HTPC will be your best bet.

------------------

Huey ;-]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.