AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this question has been asked before but I was unable to find a starting point for a project like this.

I know I want a Distributed TV system but I don't want to rip out all the existing wiring in the house (or, the wife doesn't want me to rip out the wires ;)).

Here's my situation:

TV #1 (main floor) has Dish satellite PVR/receiver, local cable, hi-quality DVD, ReplayTV PVR and Home Theatre sound system .

TV #2 (upstairs) has Dish satellite receiver and local cable.

TV #3 (basement) has Dish satellite receiver, local cable, and a cheaper DVD player.

TV #4 (main floor) has local cable.

My problem is that I can only watch recorded shows on TV #1 and I usually watch TV #4 since it's in the home office.

Can I move the satellite receivers and PVR's to a central location that I can watch from any TV in the house? I know that these systems can transmit IR . All the TV's are connected by the cable company's coax that all meet in the basement.

I also have a 802.11b (soon to be 802.11g) wireless LAN but I don't think it will be of much use here.

I'd appreciate any direct help here or direction to a web site that can explain things to this newbie.

Thanks,

Scott

· Registered
1,896 Posts
The simple way to do it is to use an RF modulator that will allow you to put the PVR signal onto the cable on an unused channel. (normally above 125 ) Modulators range from about $40-$60 for a single channel modulator to $200+ for a multi-input mult-channel modulator. Controlling channels on the PVR from a remote room will either require an IR distribution system that can be sent around on any extra cat 5 wires you might have or using an RF remote which can be added to your PVR. The real key is deciding what all you want to send around the house and then buying the appropriate modulator. If you are distributing several signals from location 1 then a multichannel modulator in that location may fill your need. Whether you also need to distribute the signals from locations 2 and 3 Dish receivers will determine if you need a modulator for there. Doesn't sound like putting everything in one location buys you much. In this case, a distributed system probably is a lot easier to install and operate by all those in the household.

Radio Shack and others have modulators. Just don't buy one that only outputs channels 3 and 4 as they will be very poor quality. The ones with a small digital display seem to work pretty well from my experience.

..Doyle

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, Doyle. Let me ask a basic question. Local cable enters our house in one spot then use splitters to go to the four TVs. Can one TV use a modulator across the same cable to all 4 TV's?

What I had in mind was having the Replay and the Dish PVR record shows that can be transmitted to the other TV's. Would "live" satellite from the Dish PVR be transmitted across the modualtor as well? Remote control back to those units would be cool but maybe added later.

- Scott

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Doyle,

Do a search for a Channel Plus 3025 all-in-one system. This would do a great job of distributing your two PVRs to all of your TVs. It can also provide remote control of both units from all of your TV locations with the optional model 2133 targets. You can read the 3025 manual on line. You can get one of these for under $130 and the IR targets cost about $40 each. I use this system to distribute my two Directivos to 5 different TVs with full remote control at each location. Good luck.

Jay

· Registered
3 Posts
This is what I am doing, I have 2 tivos, 1 ultimate tv and two stand alone Sat box's, DVD player, VCR, and CD player Modulated through out my house including my garage where my gym is, and I got to tell you it's the coolist thing that I have ever done to my house. It all started when it was time to wire my new house I had an installer put three RG6 two cat 5 in my family room (where all the equipment is) and my Basement where my second dedicated home theater with projector resides. now for the other rooms I put in 2 rg6 and 2 cat 5 one for send and one for recieving signals, one cat 5 is networking and the other is split between phone and IR Distribution, the equipment I'm using to do this is xantech for IR and NETMEDIA's triple play I have three of them total of nine assignable channels or devices. I have to tell you when I bought the Triple play's I wasn't sure how good it was going to look but I was plesantly surprised by the quality. The only thing was to get a good remote for each room that would be able to run each device and after much reading I found a one for all remote with the JP1 adapter and was able to not only to get every device to work but to also store the settings and re-use the code for all the other remotes in the house, I bought the remotes (9 of them) at Super wal-mart down the street from my house, I think the model was 8810 if im not mistaken. So from the very beginning from getting the wire installed to purchasing the equipment and getting it installed took about two weeks and haven't looked back.

My two cents...

· Registered
1,896 Posts
Scott,

There are a lot of good suggestions here. The 3025 by Channel Plus is pretty much the modulator of choice for multiple inputs. There are a couple of key points in your system design. With the 3025 you will need to put all of the receivers at pretty much the same location so that their outputs can go into the various channels of the modulator. This will entail running an additional coax for your satellite receiver since they cannot share the same coax for their antenna connection. You will need to use the IR targets described above to be able to control those receivers from a remote location and have compatible remotes to control the DVR features. You will also need to look at the distribution direction as the splitters that you have will work fine going forward and backward but they have high isolation when going leg to leg. In other words, if you have a 1-3 splitter. You can obviously go from the 1 to any of the 3 or from any of the 3 (A, B or C) to the 1 but you cannot go from 3A to 3B or 3C. Hopefully that is clear.

..Doyle

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Here's what I'm thinking about now.

1) As Doyle suggests, I need to look at how my cable was split so I make sure the signals produced by TV #1 can be seen by the others.

2) Get either the ChannelPlus 3025 to broadcast two sources (Replay, Dish PVR) or the 3445 to broadcast three sources (Replay, Dish PVR, and DVD).

3) Get the 2133 Infrared targets and a good remote (Radio Shack has a good one I currently use for TV #1) to control everything on the TV's I want to view the channels from the modulator.

And all this should work on my existing cable tv coax running through the house. Nifty!

Next question: Does anyone have recommendation for a vendor to purchase gear from? Anyone to avoid? I might pay a little more if the vendor has good tech support.

Thanks again. I can't wait to give this a try. :D

Scott

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmcjo
I suggest worthdist.com for this stuff.

I also think that the 3000 series modulators have been replaced with the 5000 series.
I agree Worthington Distribution is a good source. Also look at partsexpress.com. AFAIK the 3025 is still a current model.

Jay

· Registered
386 Posts
Look hard at the ChannelPlus line of modulators AND distribution amp AND IR targets/emitters. The present an integrated system that power each other (this aves alot of electrical outlet needs and wall warts). There are several good threads about your situation, many recent. As joe says, hard to beat Worthington Distr. for price...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.