AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is 20 x 22 x 9 (ceilings), with one wall open to the kitchen. Hardwood floors and lots of windows. I am doing a modest home entertainment center with a Denon 2805 receiver, Paradigm Studio 20 speakers, cc-470 center, and SA-10R in-ceiling for surrounds (no where else to put a rear speaker).

My wife INSISTS on a small sub, but I have blown my budget and want to stay in the $800 or less range on the sub. I will use it for mostly music and regular TV, with an occasional movie.

Please advise.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Tell her that you NEED a water heater in the corner!

Small, huh? How small?

If "very small" is the answer, check out Definatives SupercubeII and Velodyne's MiniVee,

some ID companies are making small subs too now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting her to understands the "NEED" for great speakers was battle enough. No water heaters in the family room.

Does not have to be tiny. but the smaller the better. I suspect the miniVee is too small for the room size. Correct?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Ascendant Audio Avalanche 12, plate amp from Parts Express, MDF from your local HD/Lowes. For a 10", try an Adire Audio Shiva or Tempest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great woodworking skills; time is the key element here. Cigar humidor nearly 85% completed for about 6 years now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ah yes, my wife wants to spend more on the sofa than the subwoofer too. :)

When I asked last week, someone mentioned the "Sunfire" brand which seems to make nice small boxes. A little above my budget, unless we want a very nice sofa I suppose....

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by att3
My room is 20 x 22 x 9 (ceilings), with one wall open to the kitchen. Hardwood floors and lots of windows. I am doing a modest home entertainment center with a Denon 2805 receiver, Paradigm Studio 20 speakers, cc-470 center, and SA-10R in-ceiling for surrounds (no where else to put a rear speaker).

My wife INSISTS on a small sub, but I have blown my budget and want to stay in the $800 or less range on the sub. I will use it for mostly music and regular TV, with an occasional movie.

Please advise.
ugh!!! big room...small sub needed...$800 only :)

I would make sure to check out the Velodyne SPL1200 II, there are some sales around and should make your budget and is pretty small. The Paradigm Siesmic 12 is a good choice for a small moderately priced sub that goes pretty loud, but it will be outside your budget I think.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by att3
The problem with small subs is that they cost significantly more to deliver the same amount of bass. I don't know your definition of "small" is but the HSU VTF-3 MK 2 is a great value sub right in your price range. The dimensions from their website are 22"H x 15"W x 23D. Not small compared to some of the other small subs out there but will deliver a pretty good punch. You have large room and are going to need substantial subwooferage. You would have to at least double your budget to get the same bass from a smaller sub.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Sunfire is brought to you by Bob Carver. His stuff is always expensive.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Well, look at it this way - getting a small sub is probably much cheaper than getting a new wife...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did I mention my wife is 9 mos. pregant with No.3? So subs are the last thing on her mind.

Paradigm Ultracube is leading contender right now, as its supposed to be 90% of the Seismic at half the price.

I just don't want to get something that is so woefully inadequate that it will be a waste of money.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Man, thats an enormous room. 800$ and limit to small sub is gonna be very difficult if you want to actually hear the bass, much less feel the bass.

Would you be able to get something that doubles as an endtable? (Like the ACI Titan - just above your budget if b-stock).

Are you handy with tools, and is your wife ok with holes in the walls for an Infinate Baffle setup (assuming that is even a possibility - you would have to have an attic above or cellar below your room).

even something like 2 outlaw UFW10's might not be enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.