AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

A lost newbie here just trying to navigate my way around and could use some help. I am looking for a home theater system with a budge of 1K, for a 12X12 room that opens into a 15X15 room. I was thinking of getting the Energy take classic vs. the def pro 600 series. I mainly want it for movies, particularly action flicks and for my wife, movies with songs in them. Was hoping for your input or alternative suggestions.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Given 5.1 surround and $1k budget, you could do better than both of the systems mentioned. The Energy C-50 5.0 system for $249 is a great value with free shipping. The Klipsch Icon B-stock sub for $499 is an unreal deal and would do that space justice on action flix. For an AVR, round things out with the Pioneer VSX-819 at $269. Keep the sub close to the main front three and set the AVR sub crossover to 100hz and you'll have a system capable of clean dynamic output.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patemd /forum/post/16854233

Hey All,

A lost newbie here just trying to navigate my way around and could use some help. I am looking for a home theater system with a budge of 1K, for a 12X12 room that opens into a 15X15 room. I was thinking of getting the Energy take classic vs. the def pro 600 series. I mainly want it for movies, particularly action flicks and for my wife, movies with songs in them. Was hoping for your input or alternative suggestions.

Many thanks.

Does this budget include the need for a new receiver or do you already have a decent one?

Also are you looking for floor standing speakers or will bookshelves be okay?

Are you looking for a full 5.1, 7.1 or do you just need a stereo or 2.1 setup?

If getting a 5.1/7.1 will you be wall/ceiling mounting the surrounds or need stands? I only ask this because many people forget to consider mounts, speaker stands and cabling when tying to figure a budget.

Do you have size or style, looks or size requirements?

Lastly, does your home have shared wall with neighbors or is it in a house?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi raistline, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I don't mind paying a few hundred more to cover a receiver and accessories. I am not sure what would be best for my needs ie bookshelves vs standing speakers as I want a flexible system where I can listen to music and produce home theater sound. I am open to wall mounting or using stands. I don't have specific requirements with respect to style or size, I am mostly interested in performance. Any suggestion you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mayhem,

Thank you kindly for your input. I checked out the C 50 5.1 system, I imagine I would need the center, two bookshelf, and two satellite speakers in addition to the subwoofer. Did I understand correctly?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patemd /forum/post/16867408

Hi Mayhem,

Thank you kindly for your input. I checked out the C 50 5.1 system, I imagine I would need the center, two bookshelf, and two satellite speakers in addition to the subwoofer. Did I understand correctly?

Thanks

Yes, to complete a full 5.1 you will need, Center, Right, Left, Surround right, Surround left, and a good sub.

Now the surrounds don't have to be satellites, but if you want the most bang for your buck you probably want to go with cheaper satellites for you surrounds so you can spend a larger amount of your budget on your LCR (left center right).

With the size of your room you probably want your receiver to be something along the Onkyo TX-SR507 range, I forget what other comparable brand models are off hand right now. (it is around the 300 dollar mark and output 70-80 watts per channel.) You could just as easily go just a slight bit cheaper but you really want don't want to go less then 70watts per channel.

As for the speakers, I will post a little later with a few recommendations.

But a short list of brands to look at in your price range would be;

Energy RC models, The Speaker Company, Jamo, and here are a couple online only, Premier acoustics and Bic America (thier BIC Acoustech line).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.