Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Stumbled onto this forum a few days ago and it has helped immensely, and also raised many more questions.

I'm looking into getting a new tv, although I haven't decided on whether I want RP or a tube. Ideally I would like to get a screen around 36 (about the highest for a tube) or in the 40's (low for RP).

I live in an apartment, so I have concerns with size and weight (especially for future moving). Sitting distance will be a max of 10' away from the screen. Unfortunately, I can't afford a plasma :) which would solve a lot of these problems.

Considering the massive weight of tube tv's, I was thinking it might be better to go with a RPTV and at least get the benefit of a bigger screen for the equivalent or less weight. However, it sounds like projection sets are quite "tempermental" and require a lot of adjusting/maintenance. Is this a considerable problem, or am I making it a bigger issue than it really is?

The biggest issue I can't seem to decide upon is what screen format to get, 4:3 or 16:9. A widescreen would be nice, but at least half of my viewing would still be digital cable and regular programming. Thus I would need to stretch a majority of the content as I heard that watching 4:3 mode on a widescreen for any significant amount of time can risk burn in and damaging the set. Can anyone comment on any downside to this? The sets I've looked at seem to "stretch" the signals without too much noticable distortion, so I figure I could get used to it. Wish I could camp out in a video store and experiment with all the sets for a few days.

Another question regarding quality of signals. As I said above, a good portion of my watching will be digital cable (even though I don't think "digital" cable has any benefits over analog, but I'm no expert) and I've read that normal cable with a large set can look downright crappy. I'll be pairing a progressive dvd with this, but also using a standard vhs vcr (or eventually tivo) to record cable programs. Comments? Should I consider getting a small screen, say 32", due to these sources?

Lastly, can people recommend some sets. I've been looking at the tosh 42H81. Sounds like I should also consider the panasonic 47wx51 if I can find one in a local store somewhere. In terms of tubes, I've been looking at the panasonic Tau series and also samsung. Ideally, I would like to keep the cost at a max of $2k, preferably less if possible.

Sorry for the long rambling. Any opinions/information highly appreciated.

Steven

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevenrt
Hi,

Stumbled onto this forum a few days ago and it has helped immensely, and also raised many more questions.

*** This place is amazing. I'm relatively new myself so I'm no "expert" but since I went through exactly what you are going through and ended up happy, I hope this helps.

I'm looking into getting a new tv, although I haven't decided on whether I want RP or a tube. Ideally I would like to get a screen around 36 (about the highest for a tube) or in the 40's (low for RP).

*** I was in the same boat. I wanted something to replace my standard living room 27" that would last me for the next five years minimum.

I live in an apartment, so I have concerns with size and weight (especially for future moving). Sitting distance will be a max of 10' away from the screen. Unfortunately, I can't afford a plasma :) which would solve a lot of these problems.

*** I live in a condo with 9' from eyeballs to screen. Weight wasn't really an issue, but I probably should have thought of that!

Considering the massive weight of tube tv's, I was thinking it might be better to go with a RPTV and at least get the benefit of a bigger screen for the equivalent or less weight. However, it sounds like projection sets are quite "tempermental" and require a lot of adjusting/maintenance. Is this a considerable problem, or am I making it a bigger issue than it really is?

*** Maintenance hasn't been a problem, but its been a week. The adjustments were fairly easy. The JVC has a pretty good "out of the box" setting so I was ok there. Then I bought the Avia setup DVD for 40 bucks from Amazon. I only made the basic adjustments, but it made a noticeable difference. I'm not scared of tweaking, but I'm also no expert and I'm not going to do anything like opening the case!

The biggest issue I can't seem to decide upon is what screen format to get, 4:3 or 16:9. A widescreen would be nice, but at least half of my viewing would still be digital cable and regular programming. Thus I would need to stretch a majority of the content as I heard that watching 4:3 mode on a widescreen for any significant amount of time can risk burn in and damaging the set. Can anyone comment on any downside to this? The sets I've looked at seem to "stretch" the signals without too much noticable distortion, so I figure I could get used to it. Wish I could camp out in a video store and experiment with all the sets for a few days.

** I ended up getting a 16:9. The stretch annoyed me at first (as it did in the store) but I'm now used to it. I can also use the panorama mode and cut the edges if I really dont want the stretch. I havent watched anything in 4:3 mode because the bars annoy me.

Another question regarding quality of signals. As I said above, a good portion of my watching will be digital cable (even though I don't think "digital" cable has any benefits over analog, but I'm no expert) and I've read that normal cable with a large set can look downright crappy. I'll be pairing a progressive dvd with this, but also using a standard vhs vcr (or eventually tivo) to record cable programs. Comments? Should I consider getting a small screen, say 32", due to these sources?

** Most of my "digital cable" channels (2-99) are actually in analog so it makes NO difference. If you have to have perfect quality for normal TV watching, you don't want an RP. The picture is not nearly as sharp, even with the upconvert that my JVC does. That said, the picture IS amazing. I have a standard DVD and it looks stunning so a progressive would be WOW inducing. Tivo looks fine on the higher settings, but basic is pretty much unusable.

Lastly, can people recommend some sets. I've been looking at the tosh 42H81. Sounds like I should also consider the panasonic 47wx51 if I can find one in a local store somewhere. In terms of tubes, I've been looking at the panasonic Tau series and also samsung. Ideally, I would like to keep the cost at a max of $2k, preferably less if possible.

*** I love my JVC AV48WP30 (I'Art Pro 48" 16:9). I got it for $1700 and can be found for less on the net. With warranty, tax, and delivery, I was just about your (and my!) $2K limit. I liked the Panny 47", but the picture quality on the JVC was noticeably better, slightly bigger, and I liked the "full" case (rather than "screen on a box") look in the cool high tech silver. I have seen the Panny 47 for $1500, so that may enter into your calculations ... I also looked at a Sony and Samsung, but felt (for me) that the JVC was best overall ... Sony looked slightly better but cost 400 more; Sammy cost less, but I saw some quality concerns on the net.

Sorry for the long rambling. Any opinions/information highly appreciated.

*** Hope this helps. Will

Steven

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to consider the JVC also if I can find it locally. I would prefer to buy locally so I can see it in person and if (god forbid) I have any problems with it.

Steven

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
If you were going to have a Direct TV signal going to the TV then I would recommend going with a smaller Rear Projection, but if you have to stick with Digital Cable then I would avoid the Rear projections all together. Direct TV has a satellite receiver called the DTC-100 that receives both satellite programing and Over the Air programming and is also a High Def decoder box in one. It up converts regular programming, so the signal that it sends a HD Ready Rear Projection is pretty decent. But even it has some channels that look really horrible.

So my advice is to definitely avoid a Rear Projection unless you can somehow switch to High Def Direct TV or Dish.

If you stick with Digital Cable, then you need to decide whether or not you are going to get some type of High Definition decoder for Over the Air HDTV broadcasts. They run around 500 bucks extra. If you aren't going to get one of these, then I would suggest just going with a 4:3 picture tube. I would get a solid 32 inch picture tube. If you are going to get a High Def decoder box, then I would go 16:9. I have seen RCA's 38 inch widescreen 16:9 picture tube as low as $1999.99. This unit actually has a High Def decoder built into it. It has the DTC-100 built into like I talked about above. So you could get this set, and later down the road you can add Direct TV to it.

The big downside with this set is the fact that it weighs a ton.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.