AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Sony 1031Q CRT projector, it came set up with 72" CRT spacers behind the tubes, I wanted to set it up using the 100" CRT spacers, and readjust the lens rings for a 100" screen. I ordered the correct spacers from PSI,They sent me 4 wedge shaped spacers, I was going to change it today, but I was looking in the service manual , it also shows when setting up for a 100" screen, 3, 0.8 mm spacers that go at the bottom of all 3 CRTs with the 100" spacers on the 2 outside CRT's, PSI did not send those spacers with the set, and the 72' set up does not use them, my question is , If I go ahead and set it up without the 3 0.8 mm spacers, what affect will it have on the picture quality, will it affect calibration, focus ? , I was thinking since it was removing a small, equal amount from each CRT , and they would still be in correct alignment to each other, it shouldnt affect it to much, but I could be wrong

All help is much needed and greatly appreciated,

Thanks, ED : :confused:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
To my knowledge, the spacers only affect convergence.

The spacers are a component of mechanical setup. Once mechanical setup has been done correctly, then you can have fun tweaking the electronic setup (convergence, G2, etc.). If the mechanical setup is off, then many electronically controlled aspects of the picture will be just as doomed.

If you have the wrong spacers for the screen size you are using, then the electronic convergence circuitry has to compensate. The results of that can include the inability to get good convergence (if convergence at all in extreme cases!) as well as considerable convergence drift throughout unit operation.

The exception of the mechanical first, then electronic setup that I know of is focus. You want to do electronic focus first (by looking directly at the tube with a test pattern and the contrast and brightness turned down). Then you want to do mechanical focus once you know that the images are focusing properly on the tube phosphors.

Hope that helped!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, your advice has been helpful, I believe i will call PSI and see if they have the 0.8mm shims , It only takes a couple days for delivery, I Will be able to wait till then :D , cant waiy to get this done!

Thanks agian Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.