AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching this for awhile, and lurking for the last several weeks, I decided to take the plunge and convert one our PC's into a HTPC. Several emails back and forth with ATI's customer support persuaded me to go with the ATI branded AIW 9800.

I've got a P4 2.4GHz processor on a MSI motherboard with 512M of RAM and a fresh (and patched!) install of WinXP Pro, SP1. I installed the AIW 9800 and loaded the software. The card looks beautiful on my monitor. I hooked up the component video outputs to my Sony KDP-65XBR and with a little fiddling I can get a nice picture. I haven't loaded Powerstrip yet, so there is still some tweaking I need to do. But that's not the problem.

Regardless of how many times I set the component outputs as either the only display or the primary display, after a reboot or shutdown it always reverts to using the monitor as the primary display. During boot up, I see the BIOS splash screen and IRQ info on the HDTV, as well as the "Windows-Is-Thinking-About-Starting" screen. As soon as WinXP switches to the login screen, the image reverts back to the PC monitor. I then have to log in and go back to the Display Properties page and re-enable the component output. It is not profile related; if I log out and log back in the display stays on the HDTV.

I've got a feeling I'm missing something really basic here, but I'm stumped. My whole HTPC concept requires that I NOT need a PC monitor in the theater. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? :confused:

Thanx in advance.

-Keith

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
This is very reminiscent of my AIW 9700 experience.

When I built the PC I had it connected to a monitor and when I moved it to the HDTV, like yourself no intention of having a monitor attached, I couldn't get the HDTV to stick as the primary display.

My solution, connect the HTPC to the HDTV and do a clean windows install. The HDTV becomes the primary output and sticks. I haven't ever had a monitor attached since.

If I remember correctly it will default to 640x480 resolution. Once you install Powerstrip you will be able to get the following other resolutions:

720x480P, 856x480P, 1776x1000i, and 1920x1080i.

After a little fiddling for overscan you should be fine.

I use 856x480P as my desktop res and playback DVDs at 1920x1080i.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
To properly configure the component output you must boot up with ONLY the HDTV connected, no PC monitor attached. Then refer to the custom rez guide at the top of the page for more info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duh, you can give me the dunce cap now! :eek:

And as soon as I read Karnis's reply, I suddenly remembered that I had read about this on another thread! I disconnected the monitor (as opposed to turning it off (remember back when turning off a monitor actually turned it off...) and rebooted the PC. Everything is on the HDTV display now. :)

And now, with Karnis's guide to powerstrip in hand, I'm off to play the adjustment games. Thank you both, very much, for the quick replies.

-Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.