AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions that are probably stupid and I know the answers are probably already somewhere in the forum already but help would save me time.

I have an old CRT projector which is ceiling mounted since 1984. Back then I used composite video since there was no component and no HDTV just laserdiscs, but I did put in 5 RG-59U cables just in case for future RGBHV applications which never did come to pass for me until now.

Now I have ordered a JVCG15 from AVS. When it comes I want to place it on a table and kick the tires so to speak connecting it to HDTV STB which is rack mounted about 15-20 feet away and experimenting with different throw distances etc before deciding on a new location for ceiling mount, projector lift, whisperbox etc and deciding on dimensions for a new screen i.e. size, width of masking, length of black leader, trailer, etc.

I have 2 questions. I want to order a decent cable ahead of time to have on hand to connect the HDTV receiver RGBHV to the G15 so I can use the projector immediately and later put the wire in the ceiling when I'm ready to ceiling mount the projector. The other question is I'm wondering if the existing RG-59U cable which is already in place would handle the job when I'm ready to ceiling mount the projector because it will be a lot of trouble and mess to tear out the ceiling and run new wires and the wife gets upset enough but she really gets upset when I start tearing into ceilings and walls wood moulding around custom made built in cabinets that contain the racks that hold all of the equipment. I can easily solder new BNC plugs on the existing RG59U cables if it will handle the signals.

If anyone knows the answers I will appreciate it and it will save me a lot of time searching the forum.

Larry Raulston

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Short runs are RG59 are fine for RGBHV. You may be able to use the old cable as a cable pull, if you wanted to pull better cable, but it should not be needed. I used Canare 3CFB for my D-ila / HTPC combo with any problems, which is smaller than RG59 (the next size down).

SM

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.