AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Videophile ever since I could see, i always wanted my desktop and my TV to have the same clarity that my god-given eyes provide.

Anyway I have been monitoring the HTPC thread for a while now (Thanks Mark and Wayne and countless others for instilling the inspiration and courage that was required to make a plunge). I have a Sony KV-32HS20 (though when I bought it this year Jan I believed it had the best possible picture, surprisingly I havent seen either that or the 32XBR400 being mentioned in any of the posts in this forum :) ) coupled with a Denon AVR-1801 and a Sony S-530D DVD player. Hometheater has always been my second love where PC remained the first. The config of which should be in my profile or on my sig.

The problem I am having is with my new ATI 8500LE 128 MB Card. I hooked it up to my Sony using the S-Video cable provided by ATI and at first the text was horrible. I then read Mark's post and Wayne's, downloaded PowerStrip and after a bit of tinkering, i had it running at 960iX480p and the text is very clear, though the desktop is a bit too big for the Screen.

My questions are as follows :

1) Currently I have only the S-video option. Whats the best resolution that I can go for with the S-video cable? Which resolution would be best for text and for gaming ?

2) This is probably a dumb question. But my PC monitor supports resolutions up to 1600X1200 and when I set it so, I can view the whole desktop without sidescrolling. Obviously when I do the same on my TV, the whole deskop could never be viewed at one time, Instead I have to move the mouse sideways and vertically. What am I doing wrong here ?

3) How do I run say Unreal Tournament at a resolution such as 1600x1200 on my Sony ? Anything above 1024X768 (which is specified on the ATI guide), the display flickers. (I tried setting the resolution from the Game menu). Whats the way to do this ?

4) When I set custom resolutions in Powerstrip, it asks me to reboot, i do so and then after rebooting, I set the new resolution. However I cant see any difference on the desktop whatsoever. This only occurs for horizontal resolutions such as 1440 or 1920.

5) If I wanted to run Widescreen versions of DVD without the black bars on top and bottom, should I set the resolution to something around 960ix480p and then start the movie and once it begins use the mouse to position the DVD player to the middle of the screen, thereby reducing the thickness of the black bars on top and bottom. This is what I have tried yesterday. Is this the best way to do this. Does higher resolutions affect DVD playability ?

I know these are probably confusing and stupid questions. But I am trying to step through unknown territory here. I have read almost all the posts on this forum, and the FAQ. Maybe I am missing something (a brain perhaps ;) ). I am new to HTPC as till a week before I had been content on using my 20 Inch P200 IBM monitor. But after I saw 3DMark2000 and 3DMark2001 running at 1024x768 resolution on my KV-32HS20, I never wanna go back.

Thanks for all your responses in advance.

My HTPC Setup

Antect SX1030B Case,

AthlonXP 2000+,

2x120GB Western Digital HD 7200 RPM,

Lite-On LTD-163 16x DVD-ROM,

LiteOn 40x12x48x CD-RW,

512 MB Samsung PC2700 RAM,

IBM P200 20 Inch Sony Trinitron Monitor,

SB Live,

ATI Radeon 8500LE 128 MB Video Card,

Wireless Intellimouse

MS XP Pro

·
Registered
44 Posts
cOdEgUru,

Quote:
2) This is probably a dumb question. But my PC monitor supports resolutions up to 1600X1200 and when I set it so, I can view the whole desktop without sidescrolling. Obviously when I do the same on my TV, the whole deskop could never be viewed at one time, Instead I have to move the mouse sideways and vertically. What am I doing wrong here ?
I had the same issue with my BD800 last night. This morning I found this excellent post.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=142322

A few post down you will see the answer posted by Wayne. This fixed my problem and should fix yours too!!!

This Forum ROCKS!!!!

Thanks,

Gman88

·
Registered
127 Posts
cOdEgUru:

Read up on the difference between interlaced and progressive resolutions. 480p refers to the number of vertical pixels, sent progressively. 960i also refers to the number of vertical pixels, sent interlaced (the odd lines are refreshed, and then the even lines). In general, interlacing makes text look bad. So, with a Hi-Def capable set, you don't want to use more than 540 vertical pixels (or no more than 480 if you don't want your TV to squeeze the resolution into a 16x9 aspect ratio). The first number in a resolution is the number of horizontal pixels, chosen to create a 4x3 or 16x9 desktop size (i.e. 640x480).

I believe S-video is limited to 800x600 interlaced resolutions only. Whatever resolution your display is set at, the TV out function of your video card down-converts this to 800x600. If there's any way you can swing it, pick up a transcoder (like the Audio Authority 9A60, for about $120, though supposedly the more expensive ones from Key Digital are worth the money). This will allow you to connect the VGA port on your video card to the Component (Y,Pb,Pr) input on your TV. This is the only way for you to get a progressive display on your set (unless your set has a VGA port, which is better).

The maximum resolution your set can display is xxx by 1080, and you can only do this interlaced. I think the s-video down-conversion is responsible for your panning desktop, but you're not going to be able to fix it.

I think the flickering display you're seeing playing Unreal Tournament is interlacing, and there's no way around it. As cool as your set is, it's still only built for TV. That means they're capable of much less than computer monitors or projectors (which is why your set and the XBR, which I use, aren't so cool on this forum. Everyone else here uses even better stuff!).

Powerstrip isn't going to be fully useful while you're working with S-video, because of the limit on S-video. You can set up whatever you want in Powerstrip, and it'll come out 800x600.

For widescreen DVDs, you should use a transcoder, and then create a 16x9 aspect ratio display using powerstrip. I use a 896x504 resolution (so the TV overscan doesn't affect my display), and I'm happy with it.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.