AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just bought a house, and I am making one of the rooms a theater room. Currently I am searching for a projector. I have heard alot about the infocus X1 and the price on it is excellent. I'm new to all this stuff, so any advice would be great. Also asfar as screens go, I have no idea in that area either. All information provided is well apreciated

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Most people are making there own screens with the following:

1) Blackout Cloth that can be found at Joanne Fabric and other places example http://www.reiffer.ca/screen/

2) Parkland Plastic Example: http://www.rongeyer.com/Theater/index.10.html

3) Some people just use there wall.... http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...t=1&thecat=500

As for projectors alot of it depends on room size and what you are going to be using it for. I have a comparision sheet of the top 4
The infocus X1 is popular but some people see rainbows so they don't stay with that one. There is lots of reading go to www.projectorcentral.com and www.projectorpeople.com for more i

Here are some things to consider:

Installation Parameters:

1)How far is your seating area from your screen?

2)How big is your screen?

3)What is the throw range of each projector you are considering for that screen size? 4)Does this fit with your architecture?

Feature Parameters:

1)What connection types are important to you? (DVI, VGA, etc.)

2)Do you have adequate light control? (will you need a high lumens pj?)

3)Do you watch more 16:9 or 4:3 material?

4)Are you susceptible to rainbows? Do they bug you? (do you need a 2x, 3x or 5x color wheel?)

Miscellaneous:

1)Are you a videophile? (do poor reds irk you?)

2)Is the warranty/replacement program adequate if you encounter problems?

How long is the laundry list for users who already own said pj

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dang, after reading that, I have alot to read up about. I guess I'll have to get a measurement of the room, to get a better idea. I had no idea this was going to be so hard!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If it was easy, everyone would have a PJ. I still have not ordered my PJ, but I've been 100% sure that I want one for about 2 months now. I've been reading the forum everyday and otherwise wasting my employer's time on various websites in an effort to make the best purchase decision.

If you want to take the easy route.. buy ANY popular projector, play with it for a while, figure out what you like or hate about it and make a more informed decision next time. Hey, you can always sell whatever PJ you end up with on Ebay for 80% of the price paid. LOL, I said easy, not smart.

Bobby

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just need to get a better understanding of what I should really be looking for in a projector. I also need some info on screen size and picture quality. I'm guessing the better the pj the large picture you get and still retain good quality in the picture?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CarFanatic
I just need to get a better understanding of what I should really be looking for in a projector. I also need some info on screen size and picture quality. I'm guessing the better the pj the large picture you get and still retain good quality in the picture?
CarFanatic, I am building a garage. What car should I buy and how big should the garage be. :) Sorry, just trying to make a point.

This seems to be a most common misconception from newbies about HTs. There is no right projector and screen combo for everybody.

If you want recommendations, a good start would be to answer cburb's questions and I am sure you will get some recommendations.

Gary

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby_M
If you want to take the easy route.. buy ANY popular projector, play with it for a while, figure out what you like or hate about it and make a more informed decision next time. Hey, you can always sell whatever PJ you end up with on Ebay for 80% of the price paid. LOL, I said easy, not smart.

Bobby
I like Bob's approach. (I took it and made my decision in one week.) Too many people spend way too much time researching, contemplating, making it too hard. I'm not saying you should do this blindly. Researching this thing is fun but you should be able to get yourself somewhat educated in a few short days. Also remember, the real fun starts when you actually have a pj!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, thanks for all of your imput.

The projector will be about 17ft. from the wall. I can move it closer, if thats 2 far away.

I'm leaning towards the x1 simply becase of price, and everyone seems to say it does really well for the price.

As far as screens go, I dont know what black out cloth is. I will probably build my own screen after looking at some of the exxamples linked in this post. Not sure on size of the screen yet though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Black out cloth is the fabric people use behind drapes to block out all light. You can buy it from fabric stores. It is white in colour.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah, now I know what that is. Iguess thats the best stuff to use to make a screen for a do it yourselfer.

As far as screen size from about 17ft away, what size do you think I should use?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey Bobbie.....you mean we're not supposed to be reading these forums all day at work?.....Whoops! :D ..... And don't think that it stops once you actually get your PJ.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.