Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting to all of you fine people,

I am relatively new to this but my wife and I love movies so much that we are building a 3000 cubic ft. dedicated home theater in our new home. I have spent the last six months auditioning speakers for 100% HT use. I have decided on the active M & K 150's. My system has 150p's for the left, center and right-two MX-5000THX subs and four active tripole 250's when they come out later this year. A total of nine active speakers make up the system. Since I have no need for a power amp. I want the best pre/pro I can buy(new or used) for $10,000 to $15,000. I need all the surround formats and very good upgrade-able ability. Of course, getting the most awesome theater sound is paramount. While I started out wanting the THX ultra sound I am now a little confused by Logic7, Cinema Surround

etc. and how they relate to 7.1 processing. I have looked into the Theta Casablanca 2, the Lexicon MC-12, the Meridian 861 and the EAD 8000pro.

In addition to Bryston, Integra, Mcintosh, Krell etc. Help!!! If you were to purchase in this price range strictly for theater use what would you pick?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Chris:

If you're going for 100% movies, I think you'd be hard pressed to do better than the Lexicon MC-12B (so you could run balanced to your powered speakers). Just about everyone here agrees that Lex's Logic7 (which takes a 2, 5 or 6 channel signal and turns it into a 7 channel signal) is the winner for surround processing. Of course, I own one, so I'm partial.

I also think everyone here would strongly urge you to listen for yourself--with your budget, you really need to demo the various options. Your short list is as good as it gets--but at this level of the game, you're basically trying to decide whether you like the Ferrari, the Porsche, etc. For a reality check, take a look at the new Krell $4K (I think) pre that just debuted--it looks like a solid package and may be the best bang for the buck. For me, it came down to the Lex and the 861, and the Lex won (plus, the 861 configured properly would have broken the bank).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alex!

Hey, by the way, is the "Circle Surround" on the Theta the equivalent of the Logic7 on the Lex?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
The concept is the same--extracting 7 channels when there are less than 7 actual channels. I admit ignorance on the specifics: if it does 2->7 or just 5/6->7. I *think* it will do 2->7, but it's an option. I *do* know that like the 861, the Casablanca II is very flexible (a euphamism for "You have to buy extra boards to do fun things")...it can get very pricey very quickly. I honestly never even auditioned the Theta, though. I knew I could get a Lexicon at a good price.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have had Lexicon's for a few years now, with just recently stepping up to the MC-12. I am very happy with the MC-12. I am totally sol on Logic 7, i is to my ears the best. I never use any other mode but Logic 7 in one of its various configurations.

The MC-12's are built like tanks. You wont go wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.