Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, 1st time posting here

I have a birthday coming up on 8/20, and my wife wants to get me a DVD recorder, but I have a few questions

I currently have 2 Directivo units that I want to archive off of and onto DVDs. I would like to be able to edit the commercials and beginnings and ends off of them also.

I also have a small DVD collection that I would like to make copies of for family and friends.

I was looking at some DVD recorders with harddrives on Ebay, mainly the Panasonic DMR-E80H, but they have gone over $250

She is looking to spend in the $150-$180 range, any suggestions?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Unless you have a PC with a DVD burner and the correct software, editing of commercials is going to need an HDD-equipped unit.

The price point you speak of, while it contains many good non-HDD units (Panasonic ES10, Pioneer 220/225), is pretty hard to find a good HDD equipped unit. You might be able to locate a no-name Chinese made model for that price, but I wouldn't recommend them, and neither would most members.

A possibility is to record on DVD-RW(VR) and edit on those. You won't be able to play these on older players, but many newer players (including the sub-$100 models) will play VR mode discs. Note that this will eliminate the Panasonic recorders, as none do VR mode on -RW discs and all but the latest don't even do -RW at all, only -RAM which pretty much requires a Panasonic player.

If there is a Good Guys store in your area, they are blowing out the remaining Pioneer DVR-520H's for $299. That's about as cheap as you'll get for a recommended HDD model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an older computer and do not have a DVD burner on it. I am afraid if I put one on, and try to get editing software, that it won't work with it.

Am I probably just better off getting a good non- HDD unit, and dealing with the commercials?

How about copying the DVD movie collection for friends and family? Does the Clarifier work well for getting around copyrights?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
I was looking at some DVD recorders with harddrives on Ebay, mainly the Panasonic DMR-E80H, but they have gone over $250
This reminds me of my first DVD recorder purchase in May 2002. The Panasonic DMR-E20 complete with black level bug and NO hard drive. It recorded to DVD-RAM and DVD-R only. Couldn't play MP3 discs. I picked one up for the incredibly cheap price of...(drumroll please)...$599. Hey at least it had a black case.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Supposedly you can copy a commercial DVD movie from player thru the Sima CT2 video enhancer into a DVD recorder. Do a search in this forum for Sima. Or go to a local Best Buy where they sell them for advice.

However, my best advice, if you have a newer computer with a DVD burner is to download DVD Decrypter and Shrink (both free) and use your computer to do all the work. Or buy Nero 6 or Roxio EMC 7.5 software. That's the way I do it.

vferrari... don't feel sad about the price. I paid $650.00 for my first VCR with wired remote. Tapes were $13.50 each. But, they gave me a $2.00 discount because I had just bought the machine. At the present time RW discs are cheaprer then VHS tapes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up picking up a Magnavox MRV640 at Best Buy open box for $109. It has +RW disc write, and you can edit those and make the commercials into hidden chapters, so that you don't watch them on playback

Will probably pick up a CT-2 off Ebay with my birthday money for recording my DVD collection

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Just got my daughter the Sima CT-2 & she told me she copied "Shreck 2" (For use in her car & laptop) with no problems at all. She then played the original back & her copy back at the same time switching between the two & she said that the copy was just a little softer but not bad at all & she had been checking for "Brighter," "Darker," or "Lines" in the picture but she said she could not find any "Black Level Bug" in the CT-2 as it's reported to have but maybe it will show up in other movies? If you want perfect copies though with original menus & Dolby 5.1 Audio & etc the only way to do that is with a computer but my daughter din't want to go that route & she also has her VCR tied into the loop using the CT-2 so she can dub her Video Tapes to DVDs too. I would give the Sima a shot & if your not sure of it buy it from Best Buy or Circuit City so if your not happy with it you will have no trouble returning it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.