AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a lurker for a couple months but this is my first post. Hope I don't screw it up!

I'm planning my HT and need advice on a receiver. I'm planning on the following speakers:

Center: Rocket RSC100 MKII

Fronts: Rocket by Onix ELT LRS Special Edition Satellite

Sides: HD-R80 In-Ceiling Speakers from HTD

Rear: HD-W80 In-Wall Speakers from HTD

Sub: H100 Acoustech

My room is about 25X25 but because of a closet is slightly "L" shaped. Sorry I don't have a diagram. The HT will be setup on one leg of the L (the shorter leg) but will accommodate around a 106" diagonal as I think my seating area will be 14-16' from the screen.

My receiver budget is under $500.

Couple questions:

How concerned should I be with matching receiver wattage output to speaker handling? Should the receiver wattage output per channel always be below the max speaker wattage? (Sorry if this is covered elsewhere on this site.)

Based on my selected speakers and room information, any recommendations for receivers? I have been looking at the following:

Kenwood VR-8070

Onkyo TX-SR602

I'll have the capability for 7.1 and will be mainly watching movies - 90% movies/10% music.

Thanks in advance for your help.

mnbees

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im in the same boat-although Ive been a home theater Nut for as long as I can remember. I just bought 6 acoustech towers, the center and the H-100. looking for a strong receiver in that range too.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Don't worry about wattage, there is no standard of measurement and you'll see wild variations in ways companies rate them

In the $500 range the most popular receiver seems to be the Pioneer 1015. I have the 1014 and it is a hell of a bargin

After that many like the Panny digital receivers, though I have not heard them so I won't comment further

After that take a look at some of the lower end Denon, Onkyo, HK and Yamaha.

Stay away from Sony

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would look at the HK AVR 335. Around $350 or so from authorized e-tailers.

Weight is usually a better indication of receiver power than the manufacturers stated ratings. :) HK is conservative with their ratings. Onkyo is fairly liberal with their stated power ratings.

-David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyc0n
Im in the same boat-although Ive been a home theater Nut for as long as I can remember. I just bought 6 acoustech towers, the center and the H-100. looking for a strong receiver in that range too.
I've been interested in home theater for a long time as well but haven't had the resources or home space to have a HT until recently. I've learned so much on this site - it wasn't too long ago that I thought Bose was da' bomb.

mnbees

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
davdev and Icarus,

Thanks for your feedback. It is very much appreciated. I hope to purchase in the next month or so. I'll update when I buy.

mnbees

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a refurbed Onkyo SR602B from JR.com a couple days ago. Order is in "Processing" mode - hoping it will ship soon. Speakers are due to arrive this Thursday, sub should be here any day. Christmas in August!!

Now I just need to figure out which projector and DVD player to go with, finish the construction on my basement, and I'll be set. I could be watching Husker football in October in my new HT room!

mnbees

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.