AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current TV died, so I'm looking to get a new one. I use it exclusively for my HTPC, and mostly DivX with a few DVD's. VGA input would be nice, but it seems like component and s-video would be just as nice if I just get an adapter. Since the HTPC can produce pretty high resolutions, would HDTV be a good idea?

I'd like something bigger than 30" and widescreen aspect ratio. What's a good deal for $1500 or so? Should I save the money and get something considerably cheaper that is at a much better price point?

· Banned
3,023 Posts
The largest widescreen HDTV CRT sets under $1500 are 30" diagonal, the 34" diagonal sets are more like $1800-2500 range. The cheapest 30" widescren HDTV-ready set is the Samsung for under $1000 at Best Buy and Sears. Has component and s-video input, but only component can handle HD formats - svideo and composite are for 480i only. You would need a VGA to component video transcoder ~$200 too.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is HDTV that important? I think I can do without it, it's just that I can't seem to find any non-HDTV widescreens.

Also, what about electronics outlet places? Are those worth checking out? I've heard you can get slightly defective units (a couple of dead pixels) for hundreds less than retail.

· Registered
980 Posts
You could get the 36hs500 for $1500 but its 4:3. It has DVI and a good 16x9 format.

· Registered
1,298 Posts
DonBerg is 100% right at this time it seems $1500 is the next price

drop point for 34 inch 16.9 T.Vs, most likely in the next few months

you should be able to get 34 16.9 at or below the 1500 mark.

there is also a Panasonic 30 inch for around $1400,the Samsung at

$1000 seems like a good deal. I personally would not buy anything with

defects for that kind of money. It will add up costing you a whole lot

more in time and money if you go that way. I think there are only hd

wide screens with the inputs you want.

· Registered
157 Posts
Check out Monovision. I don't think they are wide screen. But as they are actually Computer Monitors it will work the absolute best for HTPC.

· Banned
3,023 Posts
There are no non-HDTV widescreen sets, the 16:9 tubes are designed for the HD aspect ratio - there would be no point to waste it on an analog TV. The widescreen tubes cost a lot more, so the cost of the extra electronics for HDTV is minor. I believe Monovision has the computer monitors that are 16:9 widescreen, some claimed you could get one for $999.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
You can get a 30" Philips 16:9 at Sams for $888. You can also get an Akai 30" 16:9 at Costco for $500. BOTH are HD compatible.

· Registered
11 Posts
The Akai CFT3090 16X9 at Sam's for around $500 is not a HDTV or at least the ones I have seen are not. It is plain old analog. Do not ask me why they build a 16x9 that is only analog. There is another model, CF3090HD, that is HD but my local Sam's does not sell it. It looks about the same except for the case color.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.