AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been in Car Audio for a long time but Home Audio is a whole new beat to me. I'm used to running brands like JL, Lunar,Focal, and Audio Control in my truck. I decided to pickup a Used setup from a buddy of mine for $500 Everything he had was about a year old and Mint. Pioneer VSX-815, JBL 300.7, and KLH 10" sub. Im happy with everything but the sub. I was going to invest in a 12" but was told a 10" was better when using Sat type speakers for blending reasons. Is this true? Also how good is the stuff I have? I know the KLH E10 is a cheapy sub and I can tell. I need good sub advice in the sub 300 range. Thanks for any help!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
SVS and HSU are good choices if you are looking for the best bang for the buck. Call them, they may be able to give you a good deal on an open box unit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about the BIC H100? I can find it in my price range and most of what I read is good info on it. I had considered it before but then someone told me not to run a big sub with my smaller satallite speakers because it wouldn't blend right. Im also looking at the JBL SUB 12.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Copyright, stop worrying about the sub blending in. The size has nothing to do with it. A big sub can blend as well as a small one. Get the best sub you can afford. If that is the BIC, then go for it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive been reading and it seems like room size is important when choosing a sub.. In now looking at the more powerful Polk PSW505 or BIC H-100.... my room measures 16'x21'X9'... So many choices. I'm almost afraid the BIC H100 wont cut it in terms of power although my 100W KLH 10" gets pretty loud but you have to really crank the gain knob on it. Who has the best price on the BIC H100?

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
What is your budget?

Ian

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
what do you mean by "blend" ?

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvisneau /forum/post/0

check where your new sub ranks on craigsub's list. thats always a good place to start.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=55&pp=30

look at post # 1631.

Thanks for the link. From what ive read its a decent entry level sub that should be a nice step up over my 10" KLH... I wonder how many points my current KLH would get

·
Registered
2,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyright28 /forum/post/0

I had considered it before but then someone told me not to run a big sub with my smaller satallite speakers because it wouldn't blend right.

The inherent problem is with small satellite speakers, not really with the sub itself. If your speakers have drivers that are less than about 4", they won't be able to reproduce sound down to about 80 Hz, which is where you would normally keep your crossover to the sub. This means, you will have a noticeable SPL drop in that area and will be missing some audio material.

Now, you could increase the crossover point to say 100-120 Hz (if your receiver allows), and then it's possible that a smaller sub might have a slight advantage over a very big sub in clearly articulating these higher frequencies, but you really don't want to do this, IMO. Such higher freqs will cause the bass to become localized, so the sub will be drawing too much attention to itself. You really don't want the surround channel effects to be heard coming at you from the sub's position which may be upfront.

Another words, the correct solution to this is to get bigger/more capable satellite/surround speakers, not a smaller sub, especially in larger room such as yours.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 /forum/post/0

The inherent problem is with small satellite speakers, not really with the sub itself. If your speakers have drivers that are less than about 4", they won't be able to reproduce sound down to about 80 Hz, which is where you would normally keep your crossover to the sub. This means, you will have a noticeable SPL drop in that area and will be missing some audio material.

Now, you could increase the crossover point to say 100-120 Hz (if your receiver allows), and then it's possible that a smaller sub might have a slight advantage over a very big sub in clearly articulating these higher frequencies, but you really don't want to do this, IMO. Such higher freqs will cause the bass to become localized, so the sub will be drawing too much attention to itself. You really don't want the surround channel effects to be heard coming at you from the sub's position which may be upfront.

Another words, the correct solution to this is to get bigger/more capable satellite/surround speakers, not a smaller sub, especially in larger room such as yours.

Im getting a larger sub... not a smaller one. Also can I use a larger center channel to make up for the lack of mid bass around the 100hz range? I like my sats but feel like the center channel should be a bit larger since most of the sound is coming from the center. I beleive my receiver automatically cuts everything off at 100hz although i could be wrong. I will look into it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.