AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks. I was on this site years ago and never really did much other than lurk around some.

My family and I are going to be moving next year and the new home will have a seperate area for a home theater. I wanted to look at upgrading some of what I have now and thought I could start piecing together the new setup to have it ready for the new place.

This is my first real step towards quality pieces, so any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR604 7.1 Receiver that runs a Bose Acoustimass 10 setup in our small living room. When I first purchased the Bose speakers 10 years ago, I thought they were going to be great, but I have not been greatly impressed. Anyway, I am thinking I will need to upgrade my receiver and plan to address that or the speakers first.

I know there are probably alot of factors that go into building a system. Room size, money, etc. Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Definitely, DEFINITELY, upgrade the speakers first. Come up with a budget, but plan on spending more money on quality speakers than anything else. Your receiver will be fine for awhile. I personally recommend that people spend their initial speaker budget on two higher-quality front speakers only, and then add the center, surrounds, and subs, as your budget rebuilds, as opposed to spending your initial budget on an entire 5.1 or 7.1 setup, but others may disagree. It depends more on whether you're an instant satisfaction with the bare minimum type of person, or more patient and wanting to build a top-quality system type of person.

With that said, come back with room size/dimensions, your viewing/listening habits, budget, etc., and we'll see what we can do about recommendations.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The room will be 18' x 15' w/8' ceiling. I saw that NEWEGG is doing a preorder on MartinLogan Motion 10 and Motion 12 speakers for $199 and $299. I do not know much about speakers and thought that was a good deal. As far as listening habits, the area will be specific for movies, football games, nascar, PS3, and maybe some concert dvds.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Martin Logan certainly has some tremendous products over the years, however their margins are high, and you can do much better with some other options, including Internet Direct brands.

Focusing on loudspeakers is key. Speakers, and a good subwoofer system, well optimized to a rooms acoustic, will get you 90% there.

Questions; what all do you want to buy? An entire 5.1 speaker system? How much is your total budget for speakers and sub? Roughly how far will you be seated from the speakers?

Thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
It sounds like you are considering a 5.1 system. There are no "rears" in a 5.1 just "surrounds" which should be beside your ears. Having them 6' behind you is a mistake. The sound will not blend between the front and the rear as the concert or movie is produced to blend the sound between front and side to give you that wide and deep sound stage. Hope this clarifies.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyStreetRacer /forum/post/20859191

Will be seated 10' from front speakers and 6' from rear.

Budget for receiver $1000 and budget for speakers $1500 (front, rear, center, and sub)

Personally I would put a little more of that receiver budget towards the speakers/sub.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.