AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving into a new home and taking the plunge with HDTV SAT receiver. My installer is really pushing the RCA but I have my doubts. I think its because he can get the RCA easier. He is installing by audio distribution system also.

When I questioned him about the Sony, he said they had reliability problems. I have read some of the other threads about the fan noise, etc. I am seriouly considering the Mits or Panasonic. I will be getting one HDTV receiver and 3 regular for other locations in the house. Also, where is the best place to purchase if my installer decides he doesn't want to participate.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am no expert but just purchased the Toshiba DST-3000 to use with my Toshiba 40H80 and it works flawlessy. I have only had it a couple of weeks but have not experienced any problems. If you shop aroud you should be able to find one for 600.00. In my area, Oakland, CA I am able to receive all my digital locals without a hitch. Good signal strength, no dropouts, perfect as far as I can tell. The tosh runs warm so just keep it on the top shelf of your rack if possible. No fan noise here, silent operation.

The best advice I have seen on the matter is go with the model that matches your set if possible (ie same manufacturer) That was the advice given by a home theater journalist.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The RCA box was the first box on the market and was the only box for over a year. The boxes made by Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Hughes, Panasonic and Sony are 2nd and 3rd generation boxes and are considered superior to the RCA by every review I've seen.

A lot of people have bought it because in addition to being the only one available initially, it's also the cheapest.

You can do better than the RCA at this point. There's certainly no perfect box. I have the Mits SR-HD5, read my rant about this box in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/016526.html

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5 (126 hours)

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Keep in mind there are two DBS providers, Dish & DirecTV.

If you go with Dish, there is only one model to choose from, the Dish 6000. You will need 2 dishes to get standard & HD programing. The HD programing currently consists of HBO, Showtime, a PPV movie channel, a demo loop channel, and CBS. They are also talking to ABC, NBC & PBS about carrying their HDTV programming, too, but don't expect all of this to happen soon. If you make a programming commitment, this is probably the least expensive STB, but you'll need the optional $130 OTA tuner for local DTV stations.

DirecTV does not build their STB's, but has hardware partners. The RCA has been covered on the forum many times over, do a search for DTC-100. I would say if the price is right ($300-350?) it's still a decent deal. The Mitsu, Toshiba, Hughes & Philips are all the same box under the skin, but the price can vary, the Toshiba is being sold on line for less than $450, Sony & Panasonic also have their own boxes that cost closer to $600-700. Most users have found these recent STB's superior to the RCA, in one way or another. You can search through the recent HDTV Hardware threads to learn about the advantages & disadvantages of all of these. There is no single "best" DirecTV STB at this time. Zenith says their new DirecTV box will be available in October and many have high hopes for this product, but it has been overdue since "spring 2001". All of these use a single oval 24" dish for all programing and include an OTA DTV tuner. DirecTV has 2 HD channels, HBO & the brand new HDNet, which will be a DirecTV exclusive for the indefinite future. Check www.hd.net for details.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
298 Posts
Tee,

DISH may be less expensive, but DirecTV has the clear lead right now (HDNet, HBO, PPV movies, Sunday Ticket) -- unless you hate football, have to have CBS HD and can get a waiver.

Set-Top Box (DirecTV): Avoid the RCA DTC-100. The newer Hughes/Mitsu/Toshiba receivers are verifiably better at pulling signals out of the air, as numerous publications have reported (notably WideScreen Review). Also, the RCA prematurely settled on VGA/RGB output plumbing, while most everything else nowadays (including DVD) is Component Video output.

The Samsung STB, I believe, does Over The Air only -- no dish.

It's not a bad idea to match brands and use the same remote control. Go check the sets out for yourself, at a store that specializes in RPTVs. What you see will be what you will get, or better. Get the biggest thing you can get in the door and/or past the wife -- at least 55 inches (16:9, of course).

You might save a few bucks on the STB over the Internet, but for the RPTV I would look around for a local discounter that delivers. (Don't forget to tip the delivery guys.) Toshibas are priced very competitively, and Mitsubishi deals can be found at Sears.

If you've got a Costco nearby (and have a friend with a pickup and muscles), see what they've got. Three months ago it was a Samsung; two months ago they had a 40" plasma. This month I've seen a nice 55" Phillips for $2699.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got my Toshiba DST-3000 from SpectraVox at a decent price. Many posts have quoted lower than $550 though.

As to performance, I have been very pleased with it matched up with a Toshiba 50H81.

There are some good comparison reviews on the net as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would get what matches your TV. but for opinion sake, I have had my Toshiba DST-3000 for about 1 month and I absolutely love it! It does everything I had hoped for and more. It is very hot though as others have mentioned. Make sure to keep it on the top with nothing above it. As far as prices go, you can pick it up @ Video Only for $449.00. Good luck!

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.