AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok people i have been getting your help on selecting my HDTV set. i have decided on the hitachi based on all of your feedback and based on the picture quality; boy this is a nice picture. Anyways i am scared of a couple things that i hope you will clue me in on

1. if i watch alot of standard broadcast is my screen gonna get burned if i dont stretch ?

2. calibrating seems to be a hideous task... is that hard to calibrate this box?

3. is the extended warrenty really worth $500

any feedback would be great?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have purchased an 57S700 last December. Here's my take on your questions:

1. I wouldn't risk it for long periods of time. I use expanded 4:3 on our standard def channels.

2. Basic fixes like the 'red push' are simple to perform and improves the image a lot. Literally took me less than 5 mins. You should also use a tool like Avia/DVE to calibrate the basic video attributes.

I do agree, that some of the fixes proposed in the Hitachi tweak thread are more involved - for those it all depends how much enjoyment you get from tweaking your TV :)

When I decided to go rear projection (instead of a Samsung DLP or the Sony RPLCD), I made a point to set aside money for a full ISF professional calibration. The thinking was that once calibrated, I should obtain an excellent image without breaking the bank.

I'll post my findings in the S500/S700 owners thread.

3. I took the 5 years Sears extended warranty with the set. My bet was that in ~3 years, the LCD/DLP technology should become the best bang for the buck, and I could sell my RPTV with still 2 years of transferable warranty.

It is a lot of money though, and I'm still pondering this one - I'm still uncertain how calibration (with duvetyne) will affect the warranty. You do have up to a year to 'cancel it' for full refund. Cancelling any time after is pro-rated.

D.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.