AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
according to antennaweb.org all the digital channels that i want is in the yellow/green range with 334* orientation.

now my question is, if i get myself an UHF, fugly antenna from radioshack and get up to my roof, how do i know what degree i need to mount it. do i need to get a compass? those big terrestial antennas don't seem to have a definite "front or point" to point it a certain degree orientation.

help.

thanks.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gingurus
according to antennaweb.org all the digital channels that i want is in the yellow/green range with 334* orientation.

now my question is, if i get myself an UHF, fugly antenna from radioshack and get up to my roof, how do i know what degree i need to mount it. do i need to get a compass? those big terrestial antennas don't seem to have a definite "front or point" to point it a certain degree orientation.
First of all, don't get an ugly antenna from Radio Shack. Get the Channel Master 3021. It's relatively small, is more than enough for your stations (based on the yellow/green rating,) doesn't cost much and won't be that big of a deal.

All yagi antennas, which is probably what you'd get from Radio Shack (avoid anything that says multi- or omni-directional) have a definite point. The back end has a reflector which you'd orient like a catcher's mit towards the tower. Then the long arm points directly at the stations. That 334 orientation is a degree ranking and wouldn't hurt things.

*However*, the best thing to do is to have someone indoors watching your UHF reception of analog stations while you turn the antenna and tell you when you've got the clearest, most ghost-free picture possible. That is the direction you want the antenna pointed. Since magnetic and absolute north are not the same, using a compass (especially near metallic objects) will probably not be accurate enough for a "blind" aiming.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.