Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I searched for my particular problem and couldn't find anything. I've got a Pan. 42PX50U connected via HDMI to a SA HD Explorer 8300 and my dvd player is connected via component. During scenes that are lighter(i.e. light blue, grey, light brown) I notice a very thin horizontal line that runs directly across the center of the screen. It is most noticable when I change channels because the entire screen turns completely grey for about a second or two when you are in between channels. The screen looks to be a tiny bit darker above the line. By darker, I mean slightly darker grey than below the line. It's odd that the line is directly in the center of the screen. The line is also visible with the dvd player so it isn't only the HDMI/Set top box. I have the contrast and the brightness levels set a bit below the 50% mark because I want to break the set in properly. Maybe the line will disappear when I calibrate the set. I just wanted to see if anyone thinks the set is defective. It's just over two weeks old. Other than that, everything appears to be fine with the set and I'm very happy with the picture even without proper calibration. I don't know if I'm being too fussy because you have to look pretty hard to see the line. The problem is, once you know it's there, you keep looking for it and it's really annoying.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
It's not the slightest bit odd that the line is directly in the center of the screen, if you know what's causing it ... :)

If it's bothering you, you could consider asking for service. You could wait a little while to see if it evens out after it breaks in a little more. The problem is your upper and lower drives are putting out slightly different brightness.

Someone else did have this problem a couple months ago but I don't recall what model it was on.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Others have reported this problem on rare occasions. It's a flaw only on a few panels and martyj19 summed up what's going on. Panny should be able to swap out some boards to remedy this under warranty if it bothers you. I have the PX500 and don't have this issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm pretty discouraged. It isn't a huge problem, but it's disappointing to have a brand new set with a flaw like this. I guess I'll wait it out for a bit.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Chuck you are not being too picky and the problem you describe is something that has been mentioned here before. I would not try to live with it. My suggestion is that you get on the phone with Panny ASAP 'cause it is unlikely the problem will go away and you will always notice it. Or, if you got the TV from a local retailer see if they can pick it up and switch it out for you. I don't think this is a break-in issue.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I agree w/ Dan. No reason to wait it out. You have in house service so have them come give it a look. It's unlikely to correct itself and the process is typically quite slow. Might as well get the ball rolling. If it makes you feel better, I had a 6th gen Panny with an uneven black level issue that they were unable to fix so they replaced my unit with the current gen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry this is off subject but I didn't want to start another thread to ask.

Can someone point me to the plasma break-in thread? I have a Panny on order that should arrive next week and I thought I read a post that mentioned a break-in thread/how to/FAQ.

Thanks,

JB

p.s. If I had a flaw in my plasma, no matter how small, it would drive me crazy too.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You're quite welcome. I hope you are able to get it solved satisfactorily. You're right, it's disheartening to find a problem with a brand new piece of equipment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck70
Hello,

I searched for my particular problem and couldn't find anything. I've got a Pan. 42PX50U connected via HDMI to a SA HD Explorer 8300 and my dvd player is connected via component. During scenes that are lighter(i.e. light blue, grey, light brown) I notice a very thin horizontal line that runs directly across the center of the screen. It is most noticable when I change channels because the entire screen turns completely grey for about a second or two when you are in between channels. The screen looks to be a tiny bit darker above the line. By darker, I mean slightly darker grey than below the line. It's odd that the line is directly in the center of the screen. The line is also visible with the dvd player so it isn't only the HDMI/Set top box. I have the contrast and the brightness levels set a bit below the 50% mark because I want to break the set in properly. Maybe the line will disappear when I calibrate the set. I just wanted to see if anyone thinks the set is defective. It's just over two weeks old. Other than that, everything appears to be fine with the set and I'm very happy with the picture even without proper calibration. I don't know if I'm being too fussy because you have to look pretty hard to see the line. The problem is, once you know it's there, you keep looking for it and it's really annoying.
my 42px50u is a week old and I have the same exact problem. I have mine hooked up via components to the DirecTV HR10-250 so I guess we can rule out cables and tuner as possible causes.

The line is noticeable on an all gray screen, however, I can't see it any other times, and I've tried pretty hard too.

I'm also debating on whether or not I should return this. I just don't want to go through another break-in period...

·
Registered
130 Posts
hmm should i not buy this unit? i was considering buying one within a week

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STi
hmm should i not buy this unit?
Only if you're certain that the one you end up with will be defective like theirs is :rolleyes:

Mine on the other hand has no such defect. Any brand/model/technology can have defective examples and Panasonic is not immune. There's no sense in avoiding a particular model just because a few people have gotten defective ones (which will ultimately be easily repaired or simply replaced). There are hundreds more here who have perfect examples.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really haven't come across any negative reviews on the TH-42PX50U other than one guy who had a defective set. Other than this one problem, I'm very happy with this plasma. I'm also not looking forward to another break in period! I got Pany on the phone and they're gonna send someone out to look at it. The guy will probably tell me it's normal and that I'm knitpicking! I just think that the problem might get worse in time. Right now, it's very noticable in greys. The top half above the line is is considerably darker than below the line. I can also see the line pretty clearly in sky blues and whites. My wife thinks I'm too fussy but then again, she didn't pay for it and a lot of people aren't as fanatical about picture quality as I am.

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck70
I really haven't come across any negative reviews on the TH-42PX50U other than one guy who had a defective set. Other than this one problem, I'm very happy with this plasma. I'm also not looking forward to another break in period! I got Pany on the phone and they're gonna send someone out to look at it. The guy will probably tell me it's normal and that I'm knitpicking! I just think that the problem might get worse in time. Right now, it's very noticable in greys. The top half above the line is is considerably darker than below the line. I can also see the line pretty clearly in sky blues and whites. My wife thinks I'm too fussy but then again, she didn't pay for it and a lot of people aren't as fanatical about picture quality as I am.
If it were normal mine and everybody else's would do it but they do not so if he says it's normal, log on and show him this thread :D

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
i don't have a line on my px50 so i don't think its normal. i use all the inputs but composite. hdmi to dvd component to cable box s-video to dvdr.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked the link to the other people who experienced the same problem. Those posts were back in May but I couldn't find the final outcomes those people had. One forum member had the same exact problem as mine but he doesn't accept emails. Does anyone know if these people got their Plasmas fixed or did they just swap them for new ones? They didn't post their results. I have to wait over a week for a technician to come and check my tv. This is really irritating. At least I can still use the set in the meantime.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.