AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've been lurking around AVS for a while and as of last week now own a Panasonic TH-42PWD4UY. It is super neat-o but I am having a problem which could probably be best summed up as:

"Roses are red, violets are blue, grass and trees are (very) green, blond hair is also green as is 5 o'clock shadow"....yipes! This happens with both the s-video and component connections, but is much more noticeable on s-video. The green really shows up on lower contrast images or anything tape sourced (like news) and things like shadows. It's like there is a green mist around everything and in some cases people seem to have a faint green outline to them. I've adjusted the color and tint and done the basic adjustments using Avia, and also tried upping the blue and red low w/b levels some in the advanced user settings (while that does seem to help a bit, it adds too much magenta). I have read about the "creeping moss" effect but this does not sound like that problems and from what I read it's not supposed to happen with this display anyway.

Here's my setup:

Panasonic RV-31 DVD player connected with component cables with RCA to BNC adapters to the tv, 2 Philips digital cable boxes (Winfirst cable ) and 2 JVC SVHS vcr's connected to a Sima SVS4 video switcher going to the tv via s-video. I have attached a picture (not great quality due to my very low-res digital camera, but should give you an idea of the problem).

Any suggestions you guys could offer to help me rescue the people on my tv from the Matrix is much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

DeeAnn

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi deeann,

Congratulations on your new puchase and welcome to the forum. Did you check to make sure you have the correct signal selected in the set-up menu? If you have the wrong selction under COMPONENT/RGB-IN then everything could easily look like Kermit or Neo.

Hope this helps.

Howie

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I will double check that when I get home today. Would that also affect s-video connections? That is where it is most noticeable.

DeeAnn

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
From what you have described I think that your "Greyscale" needs to be calibrated. There are some good calibrators here on this forum. So don't worry , not all is lost.

Dave

·
Registered
977 Posts
Usually this problem creeps up regarding component hook-up. Plasmas in general tend to have a green "push". Some owners have reported extreme green casting that may been the result of an actual defect in the display itself.

The problem you describe sounds fairly uniform indicating a calibration issue. The obvious is to check all your cables and if you suspect any are old then replace them. I'm assuming you are using a dedicated RCA to BNC cable and not a BNC adapter for your DVD. Also, I have no idea what the quality of your cable signal is...there is a wide variety of results that owners get from their cable suppliers.

H

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from Digital Howie>>
Quote:
I'm assuming you are using a dedicated RCA to BNC cable and not a BNC adapter for your DVD.
Oops... I am using RCA with BNC adapters. I will stop by my local electronics shop soon (or order something online if they don't carry it).

from Digital Howie>>
Quote:
Also, I have no idea what the quality of your cable signal is...there is a wide variety of results that owners get from their cable suppliers.
Yep! I think that is it! It's most noticeable on cable tv (and stuff taped from cable) and so I put in a (studio, not taped from tv) black and white movie and guess what? It did not look green! Yay!! Now I am wondering if there is a way to filter out the green from the cable. I was thinking of trying a Sima Color Corrector but I do not know if it'll work well with a plasma or (and here is where my newbieness really shows) if it could in any way damage it as it has it's own brightness/contrast control and I don't want to in any way overdrive the display. I will search on this forum to see if anyone has tried it yet.

from cheridave>>
Quote:
From what you have described I think that your "Greyscale" needs to be calibrated. There are some good calibrators here on this forum. So don't worry , not all is lost.
I would like to have a professional calibration done but cannot afford it right now (or in the near future). So I will be doing what I can with AVIA, some new cables and (if all else fails and it appears safe to use) possibly a color corrector for the digital cable.

Thank you guys for helping me track down the problem! This has been all a bit overwhelming (from researching plasmas to purchase to hooking it all up) and I'm glad to know I'm in good hands here at AVS.

DeeAnn

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
DeeAnn,

Not to burst your bubble or any thing like that, please don't waste your money buying any outside component to try and fix this. Save your money to get your Plasma calibrated first. If the Greyscale is out of adjustment and shows a lot green in the lower IREs the Sima Color Corrector will not help you- remember its the Greyscale not the Color and Tint controls. The Panasonic is not difficult to calibrate and should not cost more than a few hundred bucks.

SAT & Cable has so much variation in its signal from the broadcasters that there is really nothing we can do about that either. Somedays it pushes reds and on other days it pushes green, thus NTSC- NEVER THE SAME COLOR twice.

Good luck

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries on the bubble burstin'. I'm kinda giddy having a plasma! Even after a week I'm still looking at it and thinking "Wow, that is dang'd cool!" After unboxing it last week and setting it up in the living room I came down with uncontrollable giggles. My husband (looking at me like I was totally insane, but that's pretty common) said something like "What's with you?" and I said "We just got a PLASMA TV!!!" It didn't hit him until a few hours later, and we just kept looking at the tv, then at each other, then laughing. Probably kind of an odd response but if you knew us you'd understand. We're not exactly "cheapskates" but we are very frugal (comes from too many years of working minumum wage jobs and making do with Top Ramen and Radio Shack stereos). So.... the SAP on a professional calibration is low. When I ordered Avia it was like "Why do we need that disk? Are you really sure we need it"? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice on the Sima CC idea. It would probably be more trouble than it's worth (and possibly introduce it's own issues). I will upgrade my cables (get real BNC/RCA and new s-video where needed) first and use Avia to get the best settings I can and go from there (I think all of these things should help). As for the cable company signal being off color, yep, you are right, probably can't do much about that.

Thanks again!!!!

DeeAnn

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If the "black and white" tape played fine and dandy in all or most of the shades of gray, your Plasma is in pretty good CAL already. Try the suspect signals on other TVs to try and localize the faults.

BTW, I sometimes look in the mirror and then at the Plasma and back again, then start laughing uncontrollably. Must be the Scotch....

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi,deeann did you fix the green moss problem?i also have the panasonic plasma th-42pw5y same problem with the green moss,did you fix the problem?thanks in advance !!!!

marco

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by marco7777
hi,deeann did you fix the green moss problem?i also have the panasonic plasma th-42pw5y same problem with the green moss,did you fix the problem?thanks in advance !!!!

marco
Hi marco! I actually had two problems, one easily fixable, the other not, but can be compensated for.

If you are having problems with DVD and are using your component connection, first check to make sure you have selected "Component" in your setup menu for "Component/RGB-IN".

If you're still having problems, check your connections to make sure none of the cables are loose on both the DVD player and the connection to the display (If I remember right I had a slightly loose cable coming from the DVD player).

On the S-video, I am pretty sure the cable company (I have digital cable) is pushing a bit heavy on the green (since pre-recorded VHS plays w/out the color shift). For whatever reason it's a lot more noticeable if the show is low contrast or it's on a lower quality channel (like our UPN affiliate). I should actually mention this to the cable company as I've been seeing a lot of them lately (well, the video techs anyway) as they are trying to fix a different problem. I think the green wasn't really noticeable on my old TV (Sony direct view) as the TV itself has some red push.

I've made some adjustments in the advanced options (w/b levels) and I have different settings in the presets "Standard, Cinema, Dynamic" that I use for different channels on the S-video connection. Some of my settings may shift your display to too much of a different color so YMMV, but I can list them here later if you'd like as a starting point. Lemme know.

Thanks!

DeeAnn

·
Registered
15 Posts
thank you deeann for the tips!!!yeah is mostly present on the dvd i will check my connections my componenet cables is kind of old. i am new in this forum and i have a question maybe you can help me whats the difference between rgbhv and regular component y ,pr,bp.the panny has both.i have a scaler and i can hook it up to both but i dont know wich of the two is better.i hope you can help me.thank you for the tips!!!

marco

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're welcome! Hope it helps. I don't know the answer to your question as to which connection is better though as I've only used the component, so maybe someone else can chime in on that. You might try doing a search on it (though search might be slow sometimes for a few more days until the AVS server upgrade).

·
Registered
15 Posts
thank you i will do a search!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.