AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pj is 800x600 native and Max 1280 x 1024. What does that actually mean? And whats the down fall of not having 1280x1024 native?

Image Aspect Ratio is native 4:3 and selectable 16:9. What does selectable mean and whats the down fall of not having 16:9 native. Someone mentioned that is does scaling but what does that actually mean?

Same thing with HDTV-compatible (480p, 720p and 1080i)??? Will this pj display HD or not? What am I'm going to be missing by it not being a fully HD pj?

I will be directly connecting this pj to my HTPC. Then connecting a Xbox or PS2 directly to the pj through s-video.(PIP) I have HDTV through cable TV via a digital cable converter box. Will be connecting the dcc box to the HTPC and out to the pj. The main question is will I be able to watch dvd, HDTV, and play games in widescreen 16:9 in a rez higher than 800x600? If so will the screen be stretched so bad that picture looks distorted?

The pj is a Benq pb6100

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
My pj is 800x600 native and Max 1280 x 1024. What does that actually mean? And whats the down fall of not having 1280x1024 native?
Your projector's maximum resolution is 800 pixels by 600 pixels (SVGA)which is a 4:3 aspect ratio. Your projector can take an input that is 1280 pixels by 1024 pixels (SXGA) but this will be scaled down to 800 by 600 with a corresponding loss of pixel information. This doesn't mean that the picture will look bad, it's just the limitation of your projector. That is why people on this forum are looking at higher native resolution projectors such as the Sanyo Z2 at 1280 by 720 (WXGA - 16:9) which means more pixels and more resolution.

Quote:
Image Aspect Ratio is native 4:3 and selectable 16:9. What does selectable mean and whats the down fall of not having 16:9 native. Someone mentioned that is does scaling but what does that actually mean?
Native 4:3 is just like your regular TV (not high definition) screen. Your projector puts this out in the 800 by 600 pixel resolution. Native 16:9 is like the Sanyo Z2 (1280 by 720) and is wider than a regular TV. Since your projector can select 16:9 as well it means that it will only show 800 pixels by 450 pixels. The unused pixels will show up as black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

Quote:
Same thing with HDTV-compatible (480p, 720p and 1080i)??? Will this pj display HD or not? What am I'm going to be missing by it not being a fully HD pj?
Since your projector is not a native 720P like the Sanyo Z2, there will be scaling required to fit the HDTV picture into the 800 by 600 resolution of your projector. There will be a loss of video information when this happens due to the lower resolution of your projector and the black bars that will be created at the top and bottom of the screen but it will still show HDTV, just not as well as a native 720p projector like the Sanyo Z2.

Quote:
I will be directly connecting this pj to my HTPC. Then connecting a Xbox or PS2 directly to the pj through s-video.(PIP) I have HDTV through cable TV via a digital cable converter box. Will be connecting the dcc box to the HTPC and out to the pj. The main question is will I be able to watch dvd, HDTV, and play games in widescreen 16:9 in a rez higher than 800x600? If so will the screen be stretched so bad that picture looks distorted?
You will be able to watch all your input sources but you cannot go higher than the 800 by 600 resolution of your projector. Depending on your input you will either use the full resolution of your projector for 4:3 sources or less resolution with HDTV sources. In any case high definition inputs will be scaled down to fit your projector's maximum resolution but the picture will still look fine. You may see screen door though (depending on how far back you sit from the screen) because the maximum resolution is still only 800 by 600.

Hope this helps. John:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.