AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello could someone point me to-wards a few front projectors for around $2000-$2500, that I should be looking for use in my home theater.

I'm think DVI is good, and would like High Def as well.

Thanks - Dave

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thanks... funny I had read that article a few days ago. So are those projectors well received in this forum? Am I eliminating a "good one" because of my criteria?

Cheers - Dave

·
Registered
215 Posts
For a couple hundred more, you could get a Sony HS20 which is an incredible projector ($2899 at most merchants). It's what I'm getting after a lot of research as it doesn't suffer from dust blobs building up on the inside of the lcd's and ruining the picture like the Sanyo Z2, has better blacks, is brighter, and has a better contrast ratio. It has all the inputs you need including DVI, component, etc. etc. It's truly an outstanding projector from what I've read :).

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You'll never have a dust blob with a NEC LT240k. I believe there's a $200 rebate till the end of the month. NEC makes excellent quality projectors.

Marry that with a Momitsu v880 dvd player and you'll be amazed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Herman
Another vote for the NEC LT240k. Do your homework. It's a fantastic PJ.

Herm
It's also a DLP (which many see rainbows in) and is 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 16:9. Both are negative points, at least in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Quote:
It's also a DLP (which many see rainbows in)
I still don't know anyone who sees rainbows. (aside from people in this forum) Now counting over 50 viewers.

If you want to discuss rainbows, do so in the ultimate rainbow thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Another recommendation that you consider a LT240K. An excellent PJ for the price (around $2k after rebate), with high contrast and high lumen output, making it good even with some ambient light. I like the flexibility of a 4:3 projector since I do watch some non-HD TV, play Xbox, and some of my kids' DVD's are fullscreen.

I've also never heard anyone complain about seeing rainbows on it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
IMO, the issues and tradeoffs between LCD (Z2, 500, HS20) and DLP (240K) and native 16:9 vs 4:3 far outweigh HD/nonHD resolution. Once you've settled on a technology, then the resolution issue can become more prominent. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'll have to give another vote for the HS20. It throws a very nice, sharp picture. I agree that DLP is great, but my wife and I both can see rainbows with slower speed color wheels. Look at the projector before you buy and you'll be fine.

Good Luck

Russ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.