AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm realitively new to the whole HTPC thing, and I've been unable to find any information that I can understand about the actual capabilities of a HTPC to decode, rescale, and possibly record HDTV.

I'd love to have a one stop box for NTSC, HDTV, DSS, and DVD. From what I've read the whole process is complicated and possibly unrealistic from a cost standpoint. I realize that the DSS will have to be pumped in via an outside decoder box, but exactly what and how many cards are needed?

I'm asking what the most reliable setup is keeping cost considerations in mind. Lets say that the HTPC budget is $2000. What would you cook up?

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
704 Posts
the first answer might be to jump over to the search page and enter in "hipix" or "AccesDTV".

you also might want to do a search for "Dscaler" or check out the Dscaler web page here .

-jeff

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey Sean.

For DSS I have the following setup:

Dell 8100 Computer - cost - approx. $ 1,250.00 (includes DVD)

Powerstrip (shareware)

Dscaler (free)

IOMagic PVR video capture card - $ 40.00 (this is where I route my Sony DSS receiver, through a svideo cable, into my pc. Dscaler then makes the image more presentable on my mits 46805.)

Hope this is a bit of help for you.

My advice: Do a search for the above keywords in this forum and you will get a wealth of information.

Paul

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by penone
For DSS I have the following setup:

Dell 8100 Computer - cost - approx. $ 1,250.00 (includes DVD)

Powerstrip (shareware)

Dscaler (free)

IOMagic PVR video capture card - $ 40.00 (this is where I route my Sony DSS receiver, through a svideo cable, into my pc. Dscaler then makes the image more presentable on my mits 46805.)

Paul
This is almost exactly the setup I want (with the addition of a HiPix card I already have.) My question is... how do you output the image to the mits, and from what output on the PC? The HiPix is now outputting to the Mits HD input.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Jeep Lover and Mary,

Welcome to the HTPC forum!!

For the answer to most of of your questions, follow the link in my signature. Once you have gotten a general understanding from there, use the search tool to get specific answers to your situation.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.