AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a complete newbie, I got a deal on an Infocus 720 which needed a new lamp, which I installed today. I’m quite happy with it except for several green and red spots clearly visible on a black screen. I’m not quite sure what the problem is and wanted to know if it’s a simple fix or just something I’ll have to put up with. Here are my observations.

If you focus on these spots you can see they appear as little green/ red threads. They are on a different focal plane than the projected image..

If you invert the image these threads/ spots do not move.

It looks like the previous lamp had exploded, in fact there was a loose piece of glass in the case, I had to shake the unit to remove it…

Could this be dust as that was my impression, and if so how would I go about removing it? Could they be scratches from the loose piece of glass? I have a feeling if it would be in the “non-user serviceable†area which I am a little reluctant to do at this point……

I don’t know how I went without one of these all those years, I can ignore those spots but if there is a way to get rid of them all the better! I’m sure there is a simple answer but at this stage I’m not sure what it is………

Any help would be greatly appreciated… http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks,

JON

· Registered
73 Posts
Jon,

Sounds like dust and particles on the LCD panel or the inside of the lens. I also have a 720.

You can:

1. Send to Infocus in Oregon or a local service center.

or

2. Go to Radio Shack and get a can o' air. Put it on its side, take off the dust cover and clean with water. Then blow with the air through the fan inside the unit.

I have done this "ON" and pointing to a wall 1-2 feet where you can focus on the particles easily. Keep it on its side so you can keep the air can level. As you move the nozzle around you can see the particles move or shake. With luck they disappear.

This has worked for me.

John

SSF, CA

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John,

I took your advice and invested in the can o' air, while blowing the air in the fan intake didn't work too well, the fan assembly was easily removed with two screws and provided access to the LCD panels, I was able to remove most of the dust before emptying the whole can...

Thanks a lot, my next project will be trying to make a home-made ceiling mount, and screen.....

Thanks again,

Jon

· Registered
1,377 Posts
It is most likly dust as stated. You may have to remove the cover to get acces to the panels to blow them off. Do not touch them or you'll have finger prints to look at next.

------------------

Mark A. Torre
The Torre Home Theater

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.