AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I borrowed a projector from a friend to play with for the weekend. It's a Proxima X350 ultralight DLP, with XGA native rez 1024x768 and max rez 1280x960. It supports input from DVI(or VGA with DVI<->VGA cable), S-Video, or composite - at most two simultaneously. It's definitely intended as a data type projector but has a fairly crisp display and nice optical zoom. I have it connected to a PC (more info on that later) and am using it as the primary display for winamp visualizations (milkdrop!) and DVDs.

The problem however is that the color balance is whack. Basically there are no reds. Any color sample that is supposed to be solid red (xff000000) appears black. Green appears yellowish and blue is very shrill bright blue. I have played with lowering the gamma temperature setting, which does make the display appear vaguely warmer. Still no reds though.

Here is some more info on the projector and my setup, in case it helps. I have read the manual and played with it for a few hours now without luck.

Running at 1024x768 (native res), 32bit color, 85Hz.

(oddly, manual says it can do up to 130Hz vertical refresh, but for me anything about 85Hz introduces slight noise)

The manual also says it displays 16.7 million colors.

OS is Win98SE, vid card is GeForce2 GTS running 12.41 (official) drivers. Connected using VGA<->DVI cable (which came with the projector). In the Windows advanced display prefs the monitor is listed as "Plug and Play Monitor". IE it isn't using some special monitor inf file for this projector. I dunno if this is normal or not.

In the OSD, under "BASIC Configuration" there is an option "Color". It is greyed out and I can't select it. According to the manual this is used to "Adjust color intensity in video images from 0-100". Sounds like something I want to change, but maybe by "video" here they mean it only pertains to NTSC feeds from say a camcorder (using the S-Video connector).

Oddly, adjusting Brightness does not appear to affect picture.

Any ideas? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by pulsewidth (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
410 Posts
"...I have it connected to a PC.."

pulsewidth, I think the problem should be the rgb cable conneting the pc to the projector, did you try another cable?

Federico

[This message has been edited by Federico (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I agree that the cable is suspect. Unfortunately the projector uses a DVI-I connector for computer input. This is one that carries both digital and analog signals. So, I have to use a special DVI-I<->VGA cable to connect to a PC... and of course I don't have any of those, save the one that came with the PC.

I'm going to mess with the cable, look for bent pins, etc... other than that the only thing I can think of is to connect with an S-Video cable, since the projector has S-vid in and my video card has S-vid out. Problem is the projector may only allow NTSC video inputs on the S-Video and Composite connectors... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
If you are using the cable that came with the projector then you should be OK. On the projector's menu, choose reset and it will basically reset all default settings as well as reload the software in the projector. There is another reset that is more intensive further in the menu. I suggest try that first. Also try chaning the monitor on the computer to flat panel 1024 X 768

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.