AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Budget: $1,000 - $1,500 for both PJ and screen

Viewing ratio: 70% sports from DirecTv "HD" (mainly football) 25% cinema 5% gaming (just to experiment)

Throw distance: approximately 14.5 feet (bedroom setup)

Screen size: 72" diagonal

Ambient Light: screen will be against a tan wall + white ceiling (windows will be covered with blackout cloth material) Not ideal, but necessary info for screen choice, right?

I've done a ton of lurking over the last couple days and feel quite overwhelmed by all the choices. I've been watching most of TV/DVD on my 50 inch Pioneer plasma over the last 4 years.

Am I crazy for wanting to experiment with a PJ setup in a bedroom?

I got sucked into this whole PJ query by looking for outdoor theater equipment for my new pool and soon to be new pool house. Found backyardtheater.com as well!

It would nice to be able use the projector a few times a year outside for a family get-together of 20-30 people. But again, not a huge priority. Goal is to learn small scale first. Until the upgrade bugs start biting and coercing me to remodel for a dedicated HT room.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a projector in my bedroom and it's the greatest. Very cool to watch a 72" diag. screen from my bed. I didn't want to spend a bunch, and have an Epson 810 refurb I bought directly from them (720p). On weekends I use it in the living room on a 120" screen.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Is your plasma 1080p?

If your viewing distance is 8-10ft you should get 1080p. If your viewing distance is 12ft + get 720p. Because at 12ft + 720p will do just fine and you'll be able to save a bit of cash.

A nice starter would be to probably try the W600+. It's a great 720p (native resolution: 1280x720) projector and it's got 3D feature which you can experiment with as well as lots of people are hyped about the new 3D scene. The best part is it is cheaper, way under your projected budget. I believe you might also be able to get refurbished units if you want. It's quite bright: 2600 lumens so may be doable for your 20-30 people gathering, if in fact the surrounding is completely dark. There is also a 1.5x zoom to help factor in distance if needed. Also, it seems BenQ recently also released a newer W700, it's supposed to have highly increased contrast ratio. Would advise you to wait for some reviews to show up before going in though! Also you can wait for Cedia to pass and see what else gets released!

Here's the AVS W600+ thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=w600

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have a bedroom setup myself. My room is about 8 feet wide (until doorway which opens up for 3 extra feet) and about 13.5 feet long. Back in March I bought myself an Epson 8350 and came with a 106" pulldown screen ($1500 before 13% tax at the time) from a local place (Hamilton Ontario) I just love it and the whole 106 inches is being used in the short throw distance. The only problem is the screen bottom corners are slightly obstructed by my front main tower speakers. Other than that the thing is a blast to have for my movies, HDTV and gaming. Don't have any screen shots of my system, but will soon when i get a better camera to use.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've pretty much settled my PJ choice to the Epsom 8350 which I can get on Amazon in the $1100-1200 range. Plus, it fits well into my new plan to place the PJ at the foot of my bed on top of an end table which is about 7' from the screen wall. The vertical and horizontal lens shifting should hopefully help my novice abilities in placement.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...8350/index.php This review influenced my decision, especially how well it projects sporting events. It also has a nifty calibration guide. Although most say in the 8350 forum thread here that the PJ is calibrated fairly well straight out of the box.

Now for the screen choice (DIY is out of the question, I'm about as handy as a zoo monkey) -- thinking I will get the PJ and shoot on the tan wall to measure the precise diagonal I will need. 72" is a very good estimate at the moment. So far I've briefly researched Carada, Elite, and Da-lite.

Searching pricings for Da-lite screens is maddening... the price ranges differ and there seems to be 15 different spellings for the company. I know the Caradas are more expensive. This one would put me slightly over budget, but are Caradas worth the extra cost? http://www.carada.com/ProductInfo.as...N-SCREEN-H072P

And which color screen to choose with my wall/ceiling color combo? Will white be too bright for the Epson 8350 in my environment? Leaning toward high contrast grey, but very open to suggestions.

Having a super time piecing this all together.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus /forum/post/20816342

I've pretty much settled my PJ choice to the Epsom 8350 which I can get on Amazon in the $1100-1200 range. Plus, it fits well into my new plan to place the PJ at the foot of my bed on top of an end table which is about 7' from the screen wall. The vertical and horizontal lens shifting should hopefully help my novice abilities in placement.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...8350/index.php This review influenced my decision, especially how well it projects sporting events. It also has a nifty calibration guide. Although most say in the 8350 forum thread here that the PJ is calibrated fairly well straight out of the box.

Now for the screen choice (DIY is out of the question, I'm about as handy as a zoo monkey) -- thinking I will get the PJ and shoot on the tan wall to measure the precise diagonal I will need. 72" is a very good estimate at the moment. So far I've briefly researched Carada, Elite, and Da-lite.

Searching pricings for Da-lite screens is maddening... the price ranges differ and there seems to be 15 different spellings for the company. I know the Caradas are more expensive. This one would put me slightly over budget, but are Caradas worth the extra cost? http://www.carada.com/ProductInfo.as...N-SCREEN-H072P

And which color screen to choose with my wall/ceiling color combo? Will white be too bright for the Epson 8350 in my environment? Leaning toward high contrast grey, but very open to suggestions.

Having a super time piecing this all together.

It's a very bright projector, that I can say. Diy isn't hard when you consider Wilsonart Laminate (Formica) sheet. I think either color will work fine for you, it'll depend on how much ambient light (wall color, floor color, window light, etc) you get on which you'd benefit from the most. I literally have the wilsonart laminate tacked to my wall with 6 small panel nails. Then I build a small frame around it. You can also use the tape from the goo systems to make a border. Easy... and super affordable (cost me about $80 total).

I went with "white" when most will suggest Designer white. I notice no issues and I have had 6 samples on the screen to compare, and only one was as good... So... on a budget, I'd say wilsonart is probably something you should look into

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.