AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for asking what may be a stupid question, but what's the concensus on DLP vs LCD rear projection tv's? Are they even comparable?

I see lots of folks happy with the GWII's and it seems mixed with the Samsungs. I'm taking the plunge in January and am trying to arm myself!

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Panny 45lc12, but am trying to get Panasonic to take it back. There is a lot I love about it, but the noise from the cooling fan is far too loud. Even at normal listening levels, it is audible. Panasonic replaced the fan today, but to no avail.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Consensus??!! Not even close. Do you think those that bought the GWIIs are going to say that DLP is definitely better than LCD? I'd be surprised. :)

However, I could say that after reading the white papers, it seems to me that DLP is superior to LCD. It seems that there are several reasons why this is true, but the one that sticks in my mind is that 3-chip DLPs is what's being used for digital cinema projectors, I mean the big mama projectors for 500 seat cineplexes.

Just one opinion.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lcaamano
Consensus??!! Not even close. Do you think those that bought the GWIIs are going to say that DLP is definitely better than LCD? I'd be surprised. :)

However, I could say that after reading the white papers, it seems to me that DLP is superior to LCD. It seems that there are several reasons why this is true, but the one that sticks in my mind is that 3-chip DLPs is what's being used for digital cinema projectors, I mean the big mama projectors for 500 seat cineplexes.

Just one opinion.
I think that this breaks down into what is likely to be the best technology in the long-term vs. which has the best offerings today.

On the latter category -- the long-term best one -- I think I would have to agree that DLP technology has the best future potential. Blacks and contrast ratio is better. A 3-chip offering, if ever made economically feasible, would also remove the dreaded "rainbow" effect. There are also apparently some known colorwheel enhancements that would help this as well. LCDs have more of a flat matte appearance and can't do true blacks, have trouble with near-black details, etc.

When looking at current offerings, however, there would appear to be serious concerns with Samsung's implementation of the DLP2 technology. Those who have had good results with it have done some serious service menu (SM) tweaking that appears to be somewhat dependent on the sources and source hardware you are using. Most of the GWII tweaks appear to be user menu adjustments, although umr has posted a small number of SM tweaks that help with white balance, etc.

There is also a question of quality. I have seen a lot of reported quality problems with the Samsungs, including DOA or Virtually-DOA units received by retailers. The GWII, while there are better and worse cases, seem to be much more reliable OOTB. This may be a "Samsung rush to market" thing or a more-general "Samsung vs. Sony" thing. I don't know.

Since I am not in an extremely hurry to buy I am waiting to see what the next-wave of DLP offerings has to offer, including the 61" Samsung. This is a relatively new category and you have to expect some incremental try-fail attempts. I am personally bothered by the black levels of the GWII; although maybe over time I could grow to not notice them.

Net net: Since I don't have to buy today I have the advantage of being able to wait for the potential of DLP technology to come to fruition. If I HAD to buy today I would be hard-pressed to plunk my money down on the current Samsung crop. Better potential won't help you out if the implementation is flawed.

Just my long, rambling opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't forget that Panasonic's 2nd generation DLP based RPTV will hit the retail outlets within the next week or two. The PT-52DL52 should be a solid offering which builds on the lessons learned with the first generation product, the PT-52DL10.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.