AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased a sony 60" xbr gw2. love it. over my budget...but well worth it.

now i'm trying to find a receiver and speakers to work with it. i currently have one of those cheesy sony dream home theater systems. not very good. especially in my somewhat big living room.

i saw on onecall two harmon kardon receivers. opinions?

http://www.onecall.com/PID_17140.htm (h/k avr525)
http://www.onecall.com/PID_17141.htm (h/k avr325)

if these aren't good...other recommendations? i would like to spend no more than $600.

thanks in advance.

· Registered
81 Posts
I got the HK AVR525z (refurbished model) from onecall and love it. I upgraded from a technics surround receiver that was rated 100W X 5 channels and the 7 channel HK is every bit as loud and sounds much better.

I currently only have 6 speakers and a powered sub connected, it in a small room and 7 speakers seemed to many. I like the AVR 525's ability to decode HDCD's and MP3's in the receiver. I have seen some posts complaining of fan noise. I gave the 525 plenty of clearance in my entertainment center and have never even noticed the fan come on. I think for the price the HK is a very good choice. My humble opinion anyway.

Good Luck

· Registered
720 Posts
Get the 525, no questions asked. I love buying refurbished. It's been "extra" tested, sent back to the manufacturer with what was wrong with it (or nothing wrong at all, just a return)...then the manufacturer has to test it some more, fix what was wrong, retest it, then ship it out. It's basically guaranteeing you to get a non DOA receiver with full warranty at a much reduced price. It's a no-brainer in my books. Also, HK really underrates their power on their receivers. Some companies like Sony have $300 receivers that claim 100 watts per channel. SURE. Try more along the lines of 40-50 watts per channel with all channels driven IF you're lucky.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so why do you say refurbished? are the ones i'm looking at refurbished? how can you tell?

so i guess the 525 is much superior than the 325? the 325 is so much more affordable...and sounds to be close in quality...

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by imajazz
so why do you say refurbished? are the ones i'm looking at refurbished? how can you tell?

so i guess the 525 is much superior than the 325? the 325 is so much more affordable...and sounds to be close in quality...
Onecall is a good online vendor. Thier refurbushed HK units are clearly advertised as refurbushed and sell with a HK warranty. Usally the "Z" Model numbers indicate refurbushed.

· Registered
157 Posts
I have the AVR525.

I personally love it. Great sound and awesome in 2 channel direct mode.

It does run hot..... I have a media unit and about 5 inches to the top. Although it gets very hot I have never heard the fan.

I got mine for $600. Logic 7 is very cool. Although I am digging 2 channel pure right now.. I researched here for months before buying. For the price I don't think you can touch it.

5 channel sounds great too... a slight pause with digital signals before it selects the appropriate dolby or dts etc...

· Registered
1,518 Posts
FYI about refurbs: I am 0 for 3 over the last five years, and I am not that unlucky of a person. :)

Each time I decided to go the refurb route, I end up having a dead product within a month. The products were a JVC VCR (years ago), Panasonic DVD player and NAD T752. Luckily they were all purchased from authorized dealers or dealers with a good return policy.

· Registered
112 Posts
i got the HK avr7200 from Onecall and absolutely love it. i can recommend Oncall and Harman Kardon to anyone with confidence. i dont know how much research u did on the HKs but one thing u should know is that when the HKs switchs sound formats the receiver takes a sec or 2 to lock in on the type of signal. its a trait with all HK. good luck and happy hunting.

· Registered
49 Posts
Having been there, I can't recommend buying a refurb especially from OneCall. If you have a problem, you are on your own. Sure, its under a Harman warranty, but a repair can take quite awhile (HK customer service isn't too good from what I've seen).

I don't like the idea of receiving something defective and the vendor not replacing it with another right away, and this is OneCall's policy.

Other places to look, Vanns.com, HarmanAudio.com, both authorized. If you buy from OneCall, buy new.

· Registered
73 Posts
I recently migrated from the Sony 4ES to the HK525. I like the HK a bit better than the 4ES; however, I am fairly certain the Sony had more deliverable power in 2 channel stereo which is all I am using right now. My biggest problem is that I like to run the bass a bit hot. Even though the sony could go lounder, it just didn't have as much kick in the bass area. My thoughts on this are that it has nothing to do with a lack of power, but rather to do with signal processing. The Theater mode in the 525 seems to really increase the low end quite a bit.

Anywho, they are both fairly nice recievers and my HK is from OneCall.com. They seemed like a pretty good outfit to deal with. Even called me a couple of days ago to make sure all was well.

· Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by imajazz

The AVR 525Z is refurbished the AVR 525 is not. The Z seems to notate that it is refurbished. Instead of browsing receivers at onecall just select Harman Kardon under manufacturers and you should see both new and refurb units.

Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.