AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'll apologize as I know there are lots of threads that touch on this question for specific configurations (actually, a lot of them are dead ends with a ? and no answers), but I'd like to take a step back from where most start. If I'm completely open as to how I do it, what are all my options for getting DRMed video (purchased from iTunes, if that's not obvious) out of iTunes and onto my TV?

Right now I am simply running a VGA-to-component cord between my PC and the TV but that is a waste of the TV's capabilities. I have the following equipment that I'd like to keep; I'm fine with investing in new components but would prefer solutions that don't require me to replace components I already have:

PC: Dell desktop with lots of memory but I think only a 2.6 GHz processor; iTunes, WM 11

Receiver: Denon 3808ci

Game system/media server: PS3

Satellite box: DirecTV HD STB (I believe the model is HR-23)

Portable media player: iPod Classic (80GB)

Some of those components may not be relevant, but I'm interested in any possible solutions so I thought I'd mention them. For example, while I'm looking for a more permanent solution, I'm considering for the time being downloading a small number of videos to the iPod and connecting that to either the receiver or the PS3 (which I assume will only need the appropriate connectors to work-i.e., no media server, no extra SW, no transcoding).

I'd like to break free of running iTunes on the PC while the video is playing (I'm having stuttering problems during playback), but I've read that may not presently be feasible with DRM'ed iTunes content. I have tried a few shareware programs for un-DRM-ing purchased content without much luck. If someone knows of a good product that will acheive this, I'd be more than willing to buy some commerical software, but am afraid I'll buy SW only to find it doesn't do what I need (I had that problem with all of the shareware programs I downloaded).

Any thoughts would be appreciated? Thanks in advance. Again, sorry, I know this topic gets discussed a lot but I couldn't find a thread that gave a complete view of the options. If I missed one, obviously feel free to just redirect me. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcason /forum/post/16983682

First, I'll apologize as I know there are lots of threads that touch on this question for specific configurations (actually, a lot of them are dead ends with a ? and no answers), but I'd like to take a step back from where most start. If I'm completely open as to how I do it, what are all my options for getting DRMed video (purchased from iTunes, if that's not obvious) out of iTunes and onto my TV?

Right now I am simply running a VGA-to-component cord between my PC and the TV but that is a waste of the TV's capabilities. I have the following equipment that I'd like to keep; I'm fine with investing in new components but would prefer solutions that don't require me to replace components I already have:

PC: Dell desktop with lots of memory but I think only a 2.6 GHz processor; iTunes, WM 11

Receiver: Denon 3808ci

Game system/media server: PS3

Satellite box: DirecTV HD STB (I believe the model is HR-23)

Portable media player: iPod Classic (80GB)

Some of those components may not be relevant, but I'm interested in any possible solutions so I thought I'd mention them. For example, while I'm looking for a more permanent solution, I'm considering for the time being downloading a small number of videos to the iPod and connecting that to either the receiver or the PS3 (which I assume will only need the appropriate connectors to work-i.e., no media server, no extra SW, no transcoding).

I'd like to break free of running iTunes on the PC while the video is playing (I'm having stuttering problems during playback), but I've read that may not presently be feasible with DRM'ed iTunes content. I have tried a few shareware programs for un-DRM-ing purchased content without much luck. If someone knows of a good product that will acheive this, I'd be more than willing to buy some commerical software, but am afraid I'll buy SW only to find it doesn't do what I need (I had that problem with all of the shareware programs I downloaded).

Any thoughts would be appreciated? Thanks in advance. Again, sorry, I know this topic gets discussed a lot but I couldn't find a thread that gave a complete view of the options. If I missed one, obviously feel free to just redirect me. Thanks.

iTunes and AppleTV are the only ways in existance to play DRM video content from apple....

If you dont like this I highly suggest buying content that does not contain DRM and then you have many many choices for playing back the content.

Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts