Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First time poster - so this is a newbie q.

I noticed that NAD's T762 lists a mode called "7.1 Matrix". So what is 7.1 Matrix? Is there a normal 7.1 vs. 7.1 Matrix?

Also, is Dolby or DTS using 7.1? Are any DVDs encoded with 7.1, is it just a DSP function of the receiver?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
7.1 is a marketing term. There is only one true 6.1 format (DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete, not to be confused with DTS-ES Matrix, that uses up to 7 speakers plus subs), but the consensus in the industry is to reproduce material with 7 speakers and 1 or more subwoofers if you go beyond a 5.1 playback setup. Lexicon has touted "7.1" for many many years, but it is now starting to go somewhat mainstream...

I don't have a NAD, but I assume the 7.1 matrix is likely something akin to all channel stereo, or like Dolby Digital-EX decoding which takes the surround signal and plays the mono info out of the 2 back speakers, and the stereo info out of the side surrounds (DTS-ES Matrix does the same thing more or less). Long story short, it is a DSP function as there is no 7.1 format.

Sorny

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.