AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into probably getting an emotiva upa-7. I currently have paradigm monitor 9's, a cc-290, and adp-190's. Anyway my question is this....the adp-190's specs say that the maximum input power is 80 watts and the suitable amplifier range is stated as 15 - 100 watts. So since the upa-7 is 125 watts/channel is it too much power for the speakers? Would I be better off with a 3-channel amp like the xpa-3 for just the fronts? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm new to the amp stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You wont have a problem with too much power.You can hurt your speakers by trying to listen to them too loud with not enough power. That being said with the Emotiva you will have the H.P. to drive your speakers to levels, that you could damage them but but your ears wont let you go that loud. Too little power and at high level,s you can get into clipping and that can blow your speakers.

That upa7 will be a amp that should last you for years and handle about any speaker that you may upgrade to in the future.It should sound great with your Monitor 9s . I am not sure about the adp-190s, but you should be able to set the crossovers for those in your receiver or pre-amp to protect them.If they are rated to 100wpc you should be fine unless you listen to really loud earspliting music I bet you wont ever push over 100 watts to them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts