AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would I need a VHF/UHF antenna (which is huge) on my roof if I can get HD with a smaller UHF antenna and then get the rest of the local channels via satellite? DirecTV will be increasing their local menu by Jan. 1 right? Can anyone tell me if there are benefits to getting a big aerial with a rotor/amplifier other than not having to pay the $5 or $6 month for the local channels? It seems to defeat the purpose of eliminating these aerials in the first place.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A UHF only antenna works just fine. You may, however, need to go to a roof mounted (or attic) mounted UHF antenna to get a good signal. Some areas also need a rotor system to tune in all available channels

------------------

RCA Ultimate TV

Sony Tivo

Phillips Tivo

·
Registered
113 Posts
You just need to double check that all the stations are using UHF for HD Programming. In some cases, they use VFH so the combo UHF/VHF is needed.

George

·
Registered
181 Posts
As long as your desired stations are UHF, you can use a UHF-only antenna. You alluded to DirecTV having something by 1/1- If you're looking for HD, don't hold your breath!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulM9999:
You alluded to DirecTV having something by 1/1- If you're looking for HD, don't hold your breath!
You are correct... E* and D* will be increasing the number of locals they carry on 1/1/02 in most markets they already serve due to "must carry". This does not mean that they will be adding any HD channels, however. Must carry only means that they offer A channel of each broadcaster, not both. SD uses less bandwidth than HD on a satellite, so that is the channel they will be carrying.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Bert,

Your post says you're from SoCal. I assume you mean the LA area, and that you're picking up Digital TV broadcasts from Mt. Wilson, right? If this is correct, then can the idea of getting local channels from DirecTV completely. Virtually all of your local channels are broadcasting a digital signal in the UHF band. Not all are HDTV, most aren't in fact, but when I left the LA area last October, the local WB, UPN, NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, PBS(kcet), affiliates and KCAL9 (local indie) were ALL broadcasting a digital 480p (usually just upconverted from 480i) signal.

With a dtc100 and a good signal from Mt. Wilson, there's absolutely NO reason to pay DirecTV $5/mo for only four of your locals, when you can get all 8 for free, with better picture quality!

------------------

-Kieran.

(Member since ~01/98 but AVS killed my membership

after a few months of no posting.)
My HT page

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.