AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages of a home remodeling project. Part of my plan is to create a central wiring hub/distribution panel. In looking at some of the "prepackaged" systems from Leviton and other manufactuers, I had some questions.

If I am looking at a "box/enclosure" from say Leviton and they don't have a module for something I want to accomplish, is the concept of using Leviton wasted?

I guess what I am trying to ask is am I better off to just buy some generic enclosure boxes and fill them with the stuff I need from various companies or is/are there specific reasons why you would want to try and stay within one brand?

For example, the Spaun multiswitch I need doesn't seem to have a Leviton counterpart, so that eliminates the Leviton video distribution module.

I didn't see a Leviton cable router module either.

Phone distribution seems to be fairly straight-forward with all companies.

I'm starting to get confused. :)

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Robert

· Registered
3,991 Posts
Robert,

I used the Leviton SMC panels (two of them in fact) for most of my video/audio/network/phone distribution. You are correct, in that only a few modules from Leviton will be of any use as there are better components from alternate vendors. BUT, I did find the leviton panel a convenient container. For the network and phone distribution, I used their plug in modules. For video TERMINATION, I used their multi-media plug in modules as well. For the actual video DISTRIBUTION I used Channel Plus gear, including their modulators. Worthington ( www.worthdist.com ) does have some aftermarket adapters for mounting Channelplus modulators into the Leviton enclosure.

Beyond that, the Leviton panel is made of thin gauge steel so for components that didn't fit their hole pattern, you simply drill and use self tapping metal screws to hold your equipment in place. I used linksys routers and hubs and simply secured them (they are lightweight) with velcro, which makes it convenient for removal.

Now, having said all that, you could just use a plywood backplane (I also did this for some larger equipment) and mount your stuff to it. But, the leviton enclosure which has a cover, looks more professional and it can be recessed into a standard 16" stud cavity, such that the opening is flush with drywall, if you are so happening to finish your equipment area. I chose not to (mine is located in an unfinished closet in the basement) because if you recess the panel and finish around it, you lose access to the entry holes top and bottom.

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Robert. That clears things up a bit for me.

Based on what you are saying does it make sense to just choose an enclosure from the company that has the most compatible modules for my needs...or is it pretty much a non-issue?

I was thinking I would use a plywood backing and then just mount the box(es) on the plywood rather than in between studs, as I would like to be able to have access to the access holes.

Robert

· Registered
3,991 Posts
As far as what you'll mount, I would say it is a non-issue, as like I said, you can always drill your own custom holes (at least in the case of Leviton and OnQ).

I chose Leviton, because

A) There were a fair amount of ready plug-in modules that I could use

B) I was recessing the panels

C) The Panels and many of the modules were available at Home Depot for those last minute needs

D) Worthington has a few custom brackets for both Leviton and OnQ

E) Price

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.