AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
online (or just anyone who might be able to offer some assistance, information, and/or advice to help me out).

Hi all, I am new to the board. I am seriously interested in HDTV and considering purchasing one within the next month or two.

My question is this... of all of you who bought your HDTV or HDTV-ready television online, did any of you pay for it with a finance program (aka montly payment plans)?? I am wanting to get an HDTV set as soon as possible, but the only way I could do that right now or ASAP, is by financing one. I guess what I really want to know is are there any good retailers or manufacturer's online that I could pay with a finance plan (without applying for a credit card - AmericanTV and Best Buy (the only one's I know of right now) that require applying for a credit card before qualifying for their finance plans)? And I don't really want another credit card.

Another question for those who wouldn't mind offering their opinions/experiences... which is better, a Direct View HDTV or a rear-projection?? Whatever I do decide upon, it will be a 40+" 16:9 set. Direct view TVs are cheaper, right? But that doesn't weigh too heavily on my decision, unless I can't find any good finance plans to pay off a TV with.

Also, I read the thread about complimenting CBS on their outstanding work on their HD programming. I am so jealous!! Not only because I don't have an HDTV yet, but because I won't be able to view CBS programming (as well as NBC, ABC, FOX local OTAs in HD) until this winter or next spring, when they will begin broadcasting in HD. Oh well, I guess the best things come to those who wait (or those who HAVE to wait). http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I will get the chance to watch regular HD content 1 year from now (too long to wait). I thought they said Iowa was Heaven?? Not having access to HD content is as close to H-e-double hockey sticks that I ever want to be. Guess an anamorphic/progressive scan DVD player will have to be my "true"-HD content for about a year.

Thanks in advance to all the helpful assistance, information, and advice.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Circuit City one year no interest. RCA 61" 3499.00 or RCA 38" tube 2999.00. Both have built in tuners for OTA HD and Satellite HD. You will need to buy the Oval Dish and a OTA antenna.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Taron.

But I was reading in the CC Help section on the website and I gather that I need the Circuit City credit card to take advantage of the "one full year with no interest" plan. Is that right? If it is, I really don't want to go the "having to get a credit card first" route. Thanks again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Got mine through BestBuy's 2 years no interest no payment deal. The best I can find. In fact, I believe it is the best anyone could find. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

CC

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
DO yourself a favor and don't go in the red just for HDTV. Its addicting and will cost you.... Well,, more money, your job, girlfriend/wife, and the roof over your head. You will still have your friends as they will be on your couch watching Bruce in HD drinking the beer you can't afford because you bought a center channel last week....

Something to think about..

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Richardson:
DO yourself a favor and don't go in the red just for HDTV. Its addicting and will cost you.... Well,, more money, your job, girlfriend/wife, and the roof over your head.
I agree . . . if you can't buy an HDTV with cash, then you probably shouldn't buy one. There is limited programming available and you'll end up spending lots more money: A Receiver ($600+), a Terrestrial antenna($50), a mast $10, misc. antenna mounting hardware (guy wire, clamps, tightners, chimney mount, etc.) $50, A rotor ($90), RG6, a preamp($60), a $50+ monthly subscription to DirecTV or Dish Network, connector cables $50, etc.

It is a neat "hobby" and I want more people to do it so more programming becomes available, but going into debt for HDTV is a bad idea. And since you don't even have terrestrial HDTV content in your area, it *really* seems silly to get one. I'm lucky because there are at least 9 stations broadcasting DTV content in my area.

[This message has been edited by dagman (edited 04-08-2001).]

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hey Wannabe,

Go for it. Hold out to June when the new Panasonic 47 widescreen comes out at 1999 retail. Go buy something and return it at Best Buy to get on their mailing list. They always hava 10 percent coupon near holidays. Watch for new subcriber deals at dishdepot.com on the model 6000 (200 rebate) and comes with compnent cable. Tv first dish second. You should have everything

for under 2500!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Credit card debt is never a good thing..but my g/f and I did it (i'm still in school, not working, she has graduated and has a job). We bought a Mits with no interest, no payments for a year. We are enjoying it immensely. We aren't gonna make a single payment till we switch it over to a low interest credit card at about 11 1/2 months. Then we will pay it off as fast as we can. I don't see it as a big deal. For me, its worth the debt..I know eventually we will be able to pay it off.

Home Theater is a very expensive hobby, but you only live once.

Neal

·
Registered
212 Posts
Dude,

I'll sell you the TV and provide the credit.

All you have to do is promise to pay.

I've never had a collection problem.

In case they are short, all my customers pay me first.

email

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.