AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a HTPC and am in search for a monitor or projector in the less than $3k range (2k would be better). I will be using most PC functions with this set up including, watching dvds, surfing, playing games, e-mail, excel, etc. Would a projector like the L300 or HS10 work well for all of these functions?

I have read all the FAQs over the past couple of days and still have questions.

How difficult is it to fix when the lamp burns out?

What kind of tuning is required for optimal picture? Would tuning be requried every time I switched from surfing/email to dvd watching?

Thanks for your help/suggestions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think the HS10 would be better for HTPC use because it can do 1:1 pixel mapping which will result in a better picture.

As far as tuning. You can have different user modes stored for whatever you are doing so you wouldn't have to tun it each time. I have not even calibrated my HS10 yet and am happy with it, so you may not need do anything but turn it on.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by cashfan
I think the HS10 would be better for HTPC use because it can do 1:1 pixel mapping which will result in a better picture.
Can you tell me what 1:1 pixel mapping is and why it is important?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. I saw a few projectors today, but they didn't have the HS10 or L300. All the projectors were in the 5-6K range. Do you really get that much more for twice the price?

·
Registered
99 Posts
When you have 1:1 pixelmapping, the projector doesn't have to scale the image. It doesn't matter much for dvd content, but when you start scaling a Windows desktop, it shows.

So, 1:1 mapping would be like this: you run your desktop on 800x600 and the projector can show you the same resolution because it too builds the picture with 800x600 pixels.

For now, the Panasonic L300 can't do it (it has this weird 16:9 native resoltution that a VGA card just can't output). Using Powerstrip you can force your VGA card to give you some strange resolution, the 1:1 for that projector hasn't been found (and maybe never will be).

I too did my homework on this, I've orderd one last week. But it's not going to stop me, I still have my trusty 22" Iiyama for my windows, but I guess it won't be a problem for the important stuff like games :)

(I'm not the Excell type anyway.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.