AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a HDTV for the first time and have a Zenith Silver Sensor HDTV antenna to pick up the local channels in High Def.

My question is:

Why do some channels come though in HD as 4:3 and some in 16:9? is this normal or do i have something set up wrong.

For example , I was watching 60 minutes on CBS and it was coming through in 1080i HD and it was showing as 4:3 aspect. I had another show on PBS in 1080i HD and it was filling the whole screen as 16:9. Is this something I hsould get used to with different programming or channels?

Now CBS is showing Cold Case I believe and its in 16:9 format.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Because 60 minutes isn't HD.

It's a standard def 4:3 program.

Not everything on the locals is in HD.

But the local stations for the most part are always transmitting a 16x9 HD signal, so that's why the TV will always say that station is 1080i even though the content being displayed isn't originating as 1080i

Use a program guide to keep track of it, but general rule is almost every scripted TV show is HD

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

during the segment on 60 minutes, some of the images looked really good so I assumed it was coming in as High Definition.

Does anyone know of a good website that actually lists what shows are actually broadcast over the air as true High Definition?

My basic TV guide on the tv doesn't really specify that stuff.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Isn't it also a good rule of thumb that any ABC, CBS and NBC shows that appear in 16:9 are also HD? AIUI most Fox 16:9 stuff is now HD as well - but there are also some 16:9 standard def upconverts?

All native HD production is 16:9 - the only (and rare) source of 4:3 HD would be a transfer of a movie shot in 4:3 to HD?

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,624 Posts
Read the HDTV Programming Synopsis.

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
greg97ut:

Here is a not infallible, but usually accurate and simple rule of thumb for primetime network programs:

News shows: SD

Reality shows: SD (Exception: "American Idol")

Sports HD -- or more usually SD-- although all MNF games are HD on ABC TV

Almost all other primetime network TV shows are in HD.

·
Registered
786 Posts
One of the websites that I love is HDTV Galaxy. They an entire weeks listings broken down by each HDTV channel out today. They only list the shows that are in true HDTV and nothing else. Now they have been wrong on some sporting events from time to time but overall they have been very accurate for me. Now just keep in mind that you may or may not have some of the HDTV channels on your specific providers so what you see on this guide you must have access to. This guide isn't local specific so anything on your local channels that is in HDTV you should check either titantv and/or your local stations website.

I like HDTV Galaxy because its a very quick glance at everything HDTV without much fuss.

The website link is below....

http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/broad.html

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Another site is www.checkhd.com which is actually a digital only version of titantv. Also, be sure and check your local thread in the Local HDTV Information for good information about what is available where you live.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Remember also that you will see some black bars on some movies if they are kept in their theatrical aspect ratio. HDTV is 1.78 and some movies are filmed at 2.35 or even up to 2.76 so be prepared for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.