Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks -

Question for the experts from a novice. Is there a way to significantly improve the picture from a progressive scan dvd player into a high-quality direct view monitor using a video processor / doubler / scaler.

I realize that most processors are used for projections systems or plasma displays. I plan to put together a high quality system along these lines in a year or two. But right now, to reiterate, can buying some video processor improve the picture of a simple system, ie. Sony dvd player into a Toshiba 34HF81 monitor? I could then use the processor when I buy a projector.

So what are some options? Forget cost for the moment but is this possible? I guess I could also buy a better dvd player?

All responses appreciated

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
1. To really take advantage of a scaler, the scaler needs a clean INTERLACED signal. Part of the magic that scalers do is in the advanced deinterlacing.

2. If you feed a progressive scan image to a scaler (those that accept this like Faroudja products and, I think, Vigatec) - all it does is stretch up the image. Is that worth the cost of the scaler, IMO no.

3. This type of product is really designed to improve image quality on a 50" to a 200" screen. You really can't see the artifacts that much on a 34" screen - so the benefit would be minimal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.