AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the threads in this forum and it is quite inpressive and it has sparked my intrest to it's max.

But when I look into scalers prices I am turned off by the high price tags these things have and I am just overwhelmed.

So my question is this are there any lower cost scalers available even if they only have component video outputs around that some of us home theater owners on a budget can affoird without having to sell the car or clear out our bank accounts?

·
Banned
716 Posts
Gefen has several inexpensive scalers that will be released soon. Go to the Gefen site and search for "scalers". Performance, as lyris says, is yet to be determined. Your best bet might be to find a good used scaler. There are always used DVDO products available, occasonally there's a Lumagen, and there are others. You won't get the latest and greatest technologies, but an older scaler should do you fine until you can either afford one of the newer ones or can find one used at a reasonable price.

Please note that Gefen has a bit more expensive scaler called HD-SDI to DVI Scaler that has been rated as good as, or maybe even a tiny bit better, than a couple of really expensive scalers by a trusted member who owns one. The downside is its lack of reasonable inputs, but reportedly Gefen will put out a version later this year that will be more home theater friendly.

·
Registered
779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan halvorson /forum/post/0

Please note that Gefen has a bit more expensive scaler called HD-SDI to DVI Scaler that has been rated as good as, or maybe even a tiny bit better, than a couple of really expensive scalers by a trusted member who owns one. The downside is its lack of reasonable inputs, but reportedly Geffen will put out a version later this year that will be more home theater friendly.

I presume you are eluding to a Gefen processor with HDMI I/O and a Gennum processor. Is it possible you could share your source for this info?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.