AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I have a epsom 8500 right now but plan on switching to the new panasonic 7000 pending the reviews when it releases. I use a media server and have many blu rays. Just about 90% are in scope format. I feel as though I am missing out on a movie experience with having a 16:9 screen. I am moving to s larger place in October and will have more room to run a scope setup. I have a few questions

- I plan on using a zoom method or the lens memory feature if I buy a panny to achieve 2.3.5. ( which is what I am going foe unless 2.4.0. Is better. ) How do I go about zooming without having any overspill ? As in I do not want to see anything besides a crisp clean scope image.

- I run a 106" 16.9 screen now. Not big enough at all since I am used to it already. I do not know the size of the new room this will be put in yet but I will update this thread with info once I measure the new room. How big could I go with a hp screen ? I use the hp 2.8 now and such a great image but don't know if the closeout special smx screen would be a better choice. Any suggestions please chime in

- Will I be able to watch my direct tv in the zoom scope or will I have to mask for HDTV ?

Thanks guys. All the great images in the scope pic threads made me say I am losing something with not having a scope setup and using the 16.9.

Keith

·
Registered
29,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkeith /forum/post/20872737

- I plan on using a zoom method or the lens memory feature if I buy a panny to achieve 2.3.5. ( which is what I am going foe unless 2.4.0. Is better. ) How do I go about zooming without having any overspill ? As in I do not want to see anything besides a crisp clean scope image.

If you're going to use the zoom method, there will always be overspill off the top and bottom of the screen. What you should do is add dark masking around your screen, which will absorb some of that light. (Black velvet or velveteen work best.) When you're watching a "scope" movie, the overspill only contains the black letterbox bars, which should disappear nicely into the masking.

Quote:
- Will I be able to watch my direct tv in the zoom scope or will I have to mask for HDTV ?

When you want to watch regular 16:9 TV, you'll have to reduce the zoom on the projector so that the 16:9 picture fills the height of the screen, but has empty space on the sides. What must of us here do is add side panels or curtains that can be drawn in to cover the empty parts of the screen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.