AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was helping a neighbor connect her plasma (Samsung EDTV) display to her DVD player (Toshiba, I think) yesterday. She had purchased a component cable from BB for the task. It seemed simple enough. Red, green and blue connectors on both the DVD player and the monitor. After connecting the cables, the signal source selection menu indicated "connected" for the component connection, so I figured all was well. However, when playing a DVD, we selected "component in" source on the plasma and it kept saying "no signal" after trying for a minute or so to detect a signal. We tried the same thing with both plasma component inputs with the same result (each time it was indicated as "connected" but selection of the input resulted in "no signal").

I hooked up the yellow rca video out of the DVD player to the matching video input on the plasma and it worked fine (just to prove that the DVD player was outputting some kind of signal).

I have concluded that either the cable must be defective, there is no signal output from the DVD player on the component connections, or the plasma inputs are defective.

She couldn't find the manual for the DVD player. I tried to poke around the menu in the DVD player to find something that might select component output, but couldn't find anything (I did find some audio output options, but no video). Is there something I must select from the DVD player or is there always a signal coming out of the component ports?

Oh, one more thing. I noticed that the S-video connection behaved rather strangely. If the S-video cable is disconnected, it kills the the "S connection" audio as well. I wonder if the converse may be true on the component ports. I did not connect any audio to the component inputs (they go to the surround sound system). Could the lack of audo connections prevent the component video from working?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
12 Posts
this may be too easy of a solution and you probably already checked but sometimes there is a toggle switch on the back of the dvd player to select component video out. its not part of the menu.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kamalis14,

Quote:
sometimes there is a toggle switch on the back of the dvd player to select component video out. its not part of the menu.
Actually, I didn't look. The cables prevented me from pulling the unit all the way out to get a good look at the back.

You're right, though. This would be too easy. I'll check it tonight.

Thanks,

Neil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.