AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive my noobness but I've searched for information on remote controls for HTPCs but still came up confused.

My question is: does a simple & easy solution exist? Something like the ATI Remote Wonder but not proprietary? I'm thinking of a simple implementation where you have a remote control, an IR unit that hooks to the PC, and a graphical user interface where you assign keystrokes, macros, and applications to the various buttons of the remote.

Something where you could hit 'DVD' and it would launch your software DVD program, and when you hit the play button it would send that keystroke. And so on.

I have scanned through threads on the adaptation of Pronto remotes for this purpose, but doing it that way is obviously not for the faint-hearted. I need something I can setup quickly.

Does a simple HTPC remote solution exist?

·
Registered
814 Posts
using girder as HK43 linked to, and say the USB-UIRT as a receiver. You could use any remote you want.

Of course there is a slight learning curve with Girder, but its very powerful and you will be amazed.

-pd

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Girder is not that difficult to set up, it does take a little bit of commitment, but it pays off in the end.

Jim

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Most of us that use girder (not all) have PC's that allow a WOK(wake on keyboard), usually a space bar and with a wireless KB and a learing remote, it works great to turn on the PC.

Jim

·
Registered
73 Posts
A simple solution that works well with ATI Remote is for example Showshifter. The X10 remote that comes with the AIW is supported by Showshifter without any customization. That means you press the DVD button on the remote Showshifter will bring up the DVD screen, etc.

In addition to Showshifter I use Girder to use browse the internet. So I think it is a simple solution and can be quite customizable if you want to.

Showshifter also supports a few IR transmitters. There is no native support for USB-UIRT yet, but there are workarounds using a Showshifter plugin for Girder.

Thomas

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfrjim
Most of us that use girder (not all) have PC's that allow a WOK(wake on keyboard), usually a space bar and with a wireless KB and a learing remote, it works great to turn on the PC.
My motherboard supports keyboard power on. So that really would have anything to do with Girder but rather just recording the signal sent from the keyboard when pressing the space bar into my remote? Sounds simple enough.

I want to set my PC up this week to use with my Home Theater Master MX-700. I plan to buy the Irman and use Girder. Before I spend my money on the Irman I want to check and see if that is what I should to go with or if one of these USBs would be better.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks hotwire that does help. Too bad that remote doesn't include some kind of mouse pointer, though.

Quote:
Originally posted by pdermody
using girder as HK43 linked to, and say the USB-UIRT as a receiver. You could use any remote you want.

Of course there is a slight learning curve with Girder, but its very powerful and you will be amazed.
I currently use a RadioShack RS-2116 universal remote to control my XP30 DVD player, JVC VCR, Onkyo receiver, and X1 projector.

Now tell me if I understand you correctly:

-I download Girder and buy an IR receiver that hooks into my HTPC's USB port.

-I program Girder to talk to the RS-2116 remote. I assume this involves Girder doing some kind of IR learning process, in addition to me assigning keystrokes or programs to various buttons on the remote? Is this all intuitive and GUI driven?

-I continue to use the RS-2116 to control my VCR, projector, and receiver. In addition, I can now also control my HTPC through this remote?

That sounds like a great way to do things, and very wife-friendly. But, is it really that simple? What I really need is a setup where I can control the HTPC as well as my other components (VCR, RCVR, projector) with one remote in an intuitive fashion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does the streamzap reciever support girder (or vice versa)? Seems it would be cheaper than buying the USB UIRT.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought a leadtek winfast tv card and used the remote from that to control the leadtek and also to control the dvd software of my choice. Along with girder this gave me a cheap option plus a tuner.

Josh

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lava Lamp Freak
Is this the only place to order the USB UIRT from?

http://home.earthlink.net/~jrhees/USBUIRT/overview.htm

It says it takes 3 weeks to ship. I was hoping to be able to order something and have it this week.
Its the only place to get 'em currently. However, depending on the timing of your order, you can get them shipped in as little as a few days (depends on built stock). Contact [email protected] for details.

-Jon

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh P
I bought a leadtek winfast tv card and used the remote from that to control the leadtek and also to control the dvd software of my choice. Along with girder this gave me a cheap option plus a tuner.

Josh
Can that leadtek remote also control home theater components like a VCR?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I cannot recommend the USB-UIRT highly enough. It works with EVERYTHING.

Tom

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've seen a lot of discussion on IR remote controls, but how about RF remote controls? Has anyone bought a third party RF remote control taht will work with Girder or any of the other remote control software?

I have a 2nd gen Sony DSS unit and I love the RF remote. I don't have to worry about pointing the thing toward the component (and I don't, since it sits completely hidden away out of sight).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Murkyl
I've seen a lot of discussion on IR remote controls, but how about RF remote controls?
If the RF frequency the Sony equip uses is fairly standard, a RF modulator can be connected to the USB-UIRT to make it emit RF in addition to IR. The USB-UIRT has a DC (no carrier) mode just for this purpose.

-Jon

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.