AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of JM Lab 913's that I want to set-up bi-amping. For the task I have acquired a 5x125w Carver 705x amp. My question is, do I just use RCA splitters from the 2 pre-amp outputs to connect to 4 channel amp inputs of the amp?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,822 Posts
Yes.


I trust you don't expect there to be any difference in the sound?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
38 Posts
I expect eclou should see a significant increase in the sound quality through bi-amping, particularly on "difficult" music passages which are making the system work hard. A passive crossover can't compete with bi-amps under those circumstances.


At least, that has been my direct experience...


D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,822 Posts
I know what you're saying, but you're using inaccurate terminology. Active bi-amping can help improve reproduction, but you have to remove the in-speaker crossovers and buy new crossovers to go between the pre-amp and amp(s) to implement it.


The term "bi-amping" used without qualifier nowadays nearly always means passive bi-amping, which as you note will have little if any benefit. The OP is obviously considering passive bi-amping, and will mis-interpret your answer. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
I know what you're saying, but you're using inaccurate terminology. Active bi-amping can help improve reproduction, but you have to remove the in-speaker crossovers and buy new crossovers to go between the pre-amp and amp(s) to implement it.


The term "bi-amping" used without qualifier nowadays nearly always means passive bi-amping, which as you note will have little if any benefit. The OP is obviously considering passive bi-amping, and will mis-interpret your answer. :(
And where in your answer DMF did you give the OP the answer to his/her question. Keep your personal opinion out of the question if you have nothing better too say. Your getting boring to listen too.


To the OP, for what you want too do is goto RadioShack and pickup a couple of Gold RCA splitters, cost about $5-10. Now you can hook things up.


1. Run interconnects from Left and Right preouts to the RCA splitters that you have put into the Left and Right RCA inputs on the back of the amp. Now from the splitter I suggest you run another interconnect from the Left Front to the Surround Left and Front Right to Surround Right. Now to keep hookup to the speakers less confusing run the FL/FR speaker connections to the appropriate speakers upper jumpers and the SL/SR to the lower jumpers. Just keeps things simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,822 Posts
Quote:
And where in your answer DMF did you give the OP the answer to his/her question.
Post #2. The very first word.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W
Keep your personal opinion out of the question if you have nothing better too say. Your getting boring to listen too.
Man up, Kevie. If you can't prove me wrong (or even say what you think I said wrong), then shut the f* up. No one cares if you're bored, and no one wants to hear you *****.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
Man up, Kevie. If you can't prove me wrong (or even say what you think I said wrong), then shut the f* up. No one cares if you're bored, and no one wants to hear you *****.
DMF = Dumb Mo Fo. No one gives a rats a$$ about you opinion on bi-amping either. http://www.htguide.com/forum/images/...s/icon_321.gif http://www.htguide.com/forum/images/...on_2finger.gif You feel that only active bi-amping works, I and others feel that passive does make a difference. A difference off opinions, but one where you like to go around telling people their wrong and your right. Prove me wrong!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W
DMF = Dumb Mo Fo. No one gives a rats a$$ about you opinion on bi-amping either. http://www.htguide.com/forum/images/...s/icon_321.gif http://www.htguide.com/forum/images/...on_2finger.gif ... A difference off opinions, but one where you like to go around telling people their wrong and your right. Prove me wrong!
With that attitude and presentation, Kevie, you've just lost the battle of "opinions". No one takes your childish posts seriously. If you really intend to influence readers, you've failed miserably.


So. Have you succeeded at anything of late? Make those sheep happy? :p Oh too bad. Keep trying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,822 Posts
Btw, Kevie, if you'd sit still for a DBT I could prove you wrong.


Or you could do it for yourself. If you had any idea what a DBT is... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
With that attitude and presentation, Kevie, you've just lost the battle of "opinions". No one takes your childish posts seriously. If you really intend to influence readers, you've failed miserably.


So. Have you succeeded at anything of late? Make those sheep happy? :p Oh too bad. Keep trying.
With that attitude and presentation, DMFie, you've just lost the battle of "opinions". No one takes your childish posts seriously. If you really intend to influence readers, you've failed miserably.


So. Have you succeeded at anything of late? Make those sheep happy? :p Oh too bad. Keep trying. :cool:


The lose of your personal opinion of me is just devistating. Just don't know what I'm going too do. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
Btw, Kevie, if you'd sit still for a DBT I could prove you wrong.


Or you could do it for yourself. If you had any idea what a DBT is... :(
You want too foot the bill for a True DBT, I'll be there. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
38 Posts
You guys are so pathetic with your little spats. It really detracts from the substance of this forum. I certainly won't be coming back here again until you grow up.


D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny the Who
You guys are so pathetic with your little spats. It really detracts from the substance of this forum. I certainly won't be coming back here again until you grow up.


D
It will be ok Danny, it happens...


WHERE DID YOU GUYS GET THE UN HAPPY FACES?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny the Who
You guys are so pathetic with your little spats. It really detracts from the substance of this forum. I certainly won't be coming back here again until you grow up.
We won't miss you, Danny.


Any other morons want to float a bad thread just so they can post a contentless whinge?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did I trigger some kind of sick menage-a-trois here? I promise never to ask another "bi-curious" question about "bi-amping"....


Well, after running the passive bi-amping setup with the Carver 705x vs the bi-wired setup using an Acurus A200, I hear no tremendous difference. I may be hallucinating mild increase in low-freq volume and tightness but both setups sounds worlds better than the 10lb Sony receiver that was driving the speakers before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,822 Posts
:D
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top