AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're starting the planning stage for a major renovation (combining apartments) and I want to do it (whatever "it" is) right.

I'm not even ready to post my big "help me design my system" question.

For now, a real newbie question:

I'd like to have a centralized rack of sources (cable boxes, roku, Sonos Connect, xbox, etc.) with video and audio distributed throughout and control everything via an i-device.

I've read quite a lot of posts, and I come from a computer background, but I've got no experience with home theatre design or equipment.

If I use a Global Cache GC100 on the rack, then I understand the IR outputs can control the devices on the rack (cable boxes, AV receiver, etc.).

I assume them that I would wire coax from the rack to the TV locations (and speaker wire to the speaker locations).

But would I need to get IR signals to the TVs? Maybe to control volume, or source choices on the TV (unlikely).

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Yes, IR control of the TV is the most difficult step, if you want to go the "app" route. You'll need to route an IR wire (cat5 or other) from your GC-100 to the TV, then apply an emitter there. Alternatively, an IR blaster can be put in line-of-sight of the TV - which will probably require some trial-and-error. You can also choose a TV that has RS232 control to get a more reliable solution, but those are few-and-far-between.

Now for my normal caution on these approaches: Using a app-based solution on a mobile/tablet device for everyday TV control is, IMO, a pain in the ass. With no tactile feedback, you have to look at the "remote" for each action, which will get very tedious for normal TV/DVR viewing and surfing. I would suggest a hybrid approach, where a simple universal, hard-button remote is avaiable for casual use, with app-based touchscreens reserved for theater use and for driving media servers (selecting content).

Jeff

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the quick and detailed response.

So I can use cat5 to connected an emitter to the gc100, if need be.

I completely understand the downsides about using an i-device as a remote. A hybrid solution would be great. Would that mean getting IR from each room back to the rack -- and if so, how is that accomplished?

Or is there a non-ir solution?

I really appreciate the help and recommendations.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
RF remote, or any IR repeater solution. And yes, any 2-conductor cable will do for emitters.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I an add the RF remote after initial setup, I'd probably opt for that. Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Actually, at this point, I'm trying to just make sure I've got the right wiring plan.

It sounds like with a centralized system, I can do away with the need for coax, and get away with just multiple cat6 to each device and speaker wire to each speaker.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambe  /t/1468007/newbie-question-re-remote-ir#post_23199164

What RF remotes are you considering? What will you use to control the GC-100, something like CQC or Homeseer?

I was thinking about using iRule on i-devices to control everything.

I haven't explored RF remotes. Nor have I ruled out using IR and bringing it back to the rack with a matrix (am I using the right term?).

I'm unclear what the downside to just running cat6 everywhere and skipping the coax?

Nor am I set on the GC100, if there's a better device.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephnyc  /t/1468007/newbie-question-re-remote-ir#post_23199662

I'm unclear what the downside to just running cat6 everywhere and skipping the coax?

You should absolutely run at least one coax to each room for basic CATV/sat receiver support. You don't know what will happen in the next few years, and you might really need it, as both coax and cat5e are expected to be in every home (going forward)...

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts