AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, 

I just purchased a new house that needs significant renovations which I will be performing myself.  I will have walls/ceilings open so I thought it was a great opportunity to put some speakers in the ceiling and wire everything up properly.  

I was hoping I could get some advice here on the basic system set up. 

My idea so far was to buy a Pioneer VSX-822-K receiver that will live in a cabinet in the den.  I want to add ceiling speakers in 6 rooms inside the house and two speakers outside on the patio.  I have been looking online and Polk/JBL etc sells "systems" that include 6 rooms systems for a very reasonable price ($200-300).  I am not an audiophile by any means, I am looking for a decent set up that allows me to play some music while we have friends over.    

The main question I have right now is I plan on using the Pioneer app on my android phone to control the whole system and how does the receiver indicate which speakers are which.  Ideally, I would like to label the speakers as the rooms they are in:"Dining Room" "Kitchen" Den" etc.

Would I need another component to achieve this?  

Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated.   

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrpoet  /t/1523443/newbie-question-setting-up-whole-home-speaker-system#post_24506723

The main question I have right now is I plan on using the Pioneer app on my android phone to control the whole system and how does the receiver indicate which speakers are which.  Ideally, I would like to label the speakers as the rooms they are in:"Dining Room" "Kitchen" Den" etc.

It won't. The Zone2 outputs on an AVR are for "one room"...
Quote:
Would I need another component to achieve this?  

You need a "whole house audio" system, not an AVR / Receiver for that many zones. Especially since you can run wires now...

Lots of threads on the subject one forum up from here.
Quote:
Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated.   

Concentrate first on the wiring - set yourself up properly so you can use any of the WHA systems / architectures on the market. Then, equipment-wise, you can start small (if budget dictates) and expand / upgrade later. But if the wiring isn't right, you'll limit yourself greatly...

CEA guidelines for multiroom audio (WHA) are a home-run of speaker wires from each room, looped through a keypad / volume control location in the room. And a cat5e wire run in parallel to that keypad location.

A central wiring point is a "better" choice for all of that to converge instead of a (small) cabinet space in a family room. But to allow for simple two-zone setups, run a set of speaker wires between your central point and that cabinet, so that you can feed some room(s) from an AVR in that cabinet...

Jeff

Reactions: pdrpoet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you very much for your input.  I will be honest - I had to google a few of the terms you used, but it all makes sense.  

I guess my biggest challenge will be to achieve what I want on a shoe string budget of $500-600.  

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

Depending on the size of the home monoprice 14/4 cable is about $50 bucks per 100 ft.

A roll of 1000ft of CAT5e is also $50.

Plus your time to home run that to the basement gets your prewire.

Beyond that the multizone amp and audio sources are another matter.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
You should plan on spending all of that money on the wiring and wire your home properly. Plan to upgrade your budget if appropriate while walls are open so that you can get the proper wiring in place.

You can't set a realistic budget until you know what you are trying to achieve, and what is needed to achieve that.

On a budget, you get the wiring in place. Then get speakers, as appropriate, and a distribution system of some sort.

Something like this represents what a 'BASIC' iPhone controlled product with up to six zones (6 pairs of speakers) would be:
http://www.htd.com/Products/mid-level-whole-house-audio

+ 6 pairs of speakers: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083702&p_id=4103&seq=1&format=2

That's about $1,300 in equipment for a fully controllable multi-zone setup which you can connect up to 6 sources to.

There are cheaper ways to do the equipment, but not really on the speakers, and you still will need a fair bit of wiring.

You also really want to be sure that you are picking a location that is adequate to put equipment into. Multiple playback devices, amplifiers, etc. all of which are VERY heat sensitive and have a lot of wiring on the back. Typically a good closet, or basement location is a far better location than stuffed into a tight box under a TV. Find a good location that won't cause equipment failure, and is easy to wire to properly.

But, the most attention and detail should be spent on the wiring of your home to code and to meet the needs you have now, and expect to have in years to come up. So, proper networking, speakers, A/V, control, etc. I would expect to take $400 or so quite easily with quality wiring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts