AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forums for a similar post and can't find any; please forgive me if this has been covered already.

I've got a Toshiba TP50G90 50" rear projection TV; it's traditional analog, not digital or HDTV. I'm very interested in purchasing a decoder box for HDTV signals, partially due to the 5.1 sound as well as for improved picture quality. The Samsung SIR-T150 seems like a good deal at $399 after rebate.

I have a couple of questions, though.

From a technical standpoint:

My TV has component input, but it is the older YCrCb (see edit) input. Most digital TVs and associated devices seem to use YPrPb instead. Is YPrPb backward compatible, or will I need to use S-Video to connect to my TV? I would assume I would need to set the decoder box to 480i in either case, since I sincerely doubt the TV can accept progressive input.

EDIT: Apparently this is incorrect since I've read that YCrCb is a digital-only signal, so apparently my TV is mislabeled as YCrCb. So here's the question again, rephrased more generically: Will the component video signal from the decoder be able to be used by my existing analog TV, or will I be limited to s-video?

On a related note, will I notice the improved quality, or will the downsampling to 480i cancel out any visual gains?

Thanks in advance.

Nate LaFerle

·
Registered
271 Posts
Correct Nate - Mitsu and other brands incorrectly label YPbPr (consumer analog component video) as"YCbCr" (professional digital component video).

Since your set has component input, it is about half a notch newer than what I'd call "traditional analog". This input is designed to accept 480i interlaced from a DVD player or other source. Problem is, most of the set top boxes, when told to output 480i, only send it on their S-Video or composite connection, not component.

There's at least one exception to this, an STB that will send 480i component, but I forget which model. (The Zenith will NOT.) It would be ashame for you not to find such an STB - you are losing a lot of horizontal color resolution with just S-Video.

To the extent that your local broadcasters are doing a good job preparing and broadcasting digital TV signals, you will be probably be very happy with the scaled-to-480i signals compared to regular analog composite sources.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Samsung site says the box outputs 'Wideband component'... the high bandwidth version... your TV will only be able to accept the S-VHS, since it's component is limited to the low bandwidth version.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies; I appreciate it.

It looks as if the Samsung might not be the best choice for my setup. Den mentioned that there was at least one STB that outputted 480i low-bandwidth component. Does anyone know which box this is?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have the SIR-T150 feeding a standard definition 60" Mits RPTV at 480i. The TV has a single component input (non-progressive) which I have connected up to my DVD player. I've had the SIR-T150 about 4 months now and don't regret getting it.

I have the SIR-T150 set to output 480i and send the signal to the TV via s-video. Basically, the OTA HD receiver gives my STD def TV the best signal it can handle. I mainly use the Samsung to watch network sports broadcasts like the recent Winter Olympics, Superbowl, NBA playoffs, etc. Here in Atlanta we currently have ~5 HD broadcasts with PBS and TBS coming soon.

From what I've seen, if your looking for a OTA-HD decoder, and don't want/need DirectTV or DISH then the Samsung SIR-T150 is your best choice, and down the road when you get a true HD TV you're still good-to-go.

Bruce Kolofske

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply Bruce. Have you ever tried to connect your receiver via component input? Were you successful? Are you pleased with the quality?

Thanks,

Nate

·
Registered
409 Posts
The SIR-T150 will not output 480i over the component outputs. 480i only over s-video and rca-a/v.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.