AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the projector forums I frequent on AVS, most talk of using a PC to drive a projector directly via the VGA port.

Now, on regular TV's without a VGA port, what do you do with a HTPC?

My experience with the TV out on most graphics cards has shown that they leave much to be desired. Am I wrong about this?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You're not wrong. If you are used to XVGA quality feeding your display, then svideo or composite (what a "regular tv" might have) will not look so hot. Most people are either living with Svideo or have better displays.

You didn't explicitly state the absence of a DVI port, which is as good or better than XVGA.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I don't have an HTP myself..I was asking mor ein general, as I see alot of poeple on general computer sites talking of TV-out on video cards as the main output, and I rememberd that the colour and sizing was not right with that method.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
TV out is limited by NTSC specification of 480i, which is basically 640x480 interlaced.

Using a VGA, RGBHV, or component video connection it is possible to use greater resolutions such as 480p, 540p, 720p (if your display supports it), 960i and 1080i. There are also several "computer" resolutions that are compatible with some projectors.

This is why few HTPC's use TV out.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait, are you saying you can convert the VGA output of a video card into a component video output, and then plug that into a TV?

I did not know that was possible? How would that look?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Do a search here for "transcoder" and "Audio Authority" or "Key Digital". It should look nearly as, if not exactly as, good as a VGA connection would.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are we talking about an HDTV or your more regular-bought-at-BestBuy-for-$300 television? I use a 27 inch Samsung TV with an HTPC and I get pretty decent picture quality. It's nigh impossible to get the kind of clarity on a regular TV that you can get on a computer monitor, but you can come reasonably close. The key for me was using TVTool ( www.tvtool.info ), a piece of shareware that allows your video card to go into more TV friendly resolutions. The catch is TVTool is not compatible with all video cards, only certain Nvidia cards with the right TV-Out chipset. Do a search on this site for TVTool and check out their web site for more details.

Erick

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I am talking about run of the mill TV"s here.

From my GF4 TI4200, USING TVtool, I do not think the TVout is all that great, and this may be due to the TV out chip used.

How much are those Transcoder type devices?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.