AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Charlotte, NC so I can partake of several different channels. Have VT-540 for display. From my research, it sounds like I would need the following:

-Radio Shack antenna

-Radio Shack pre-amp

-Set top decoder box? Need suggestions here!

Could those of you who've been down this path before provide advise on what I would need to begin receiving OTA broadcasts on a budget? Thanks to all!

Jeff Elliott

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Jeff,

Here is the best I can do. I researched some past posts of the Carolina HDTV list and it seems there is quite a variety of STBs in use by folks in the Charlotte area. The DirecTV capable Toshiba, Mitsubishi and RCA units and a few with the Dishnetwork's 6000 receiver with OTA module. Each has its peculiarities and proponents. There are many posts here on the hardware forum that talk about these STBs if you wish to search further.

Antenna wise, I saw posts by users happy with the Silver Sensor, the Radio Shack Double Bow-Tie indoor units plus several with generic UHF or UHF/VHS antennas from Channel Master or Radio Shack.

If you are within 10 or 15 miles of the antennas then I would definitely try the Radio Shack Double-Bow Tie (about $20 with 300-75ohm balun adapter). Some couple it with an amplified (ChannelMaster best but RS useable I hear) but if watching pennies I would try it first without.

Good luck,

Bruce in Sumter

(TW HD cable)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.