AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Newbie question: What's biwiring/triwiring for speakers?

455 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Tom Rosback
Basically, the topic says it all. Would like to know what its for?
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
In a nutshell, speakers that support bi/tri-wiring allow you to bypass the internal crossover. For example, you could use a two channel tube amp to drive the tweeters for your mains and a two channel solid state amp to drive the corresponding woofers. Hybrid speakers (e.g., ribbons coupled with normal cones) are supposed to really benefit from this approach--but let your ears decide!


Thanks Tom for the detailed explanation. I guess biwiring/biamping is way out of my league. I'll stick to the normal 2 lead copper wire for now http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

In a previous post:

"speakers that support bi/tri-wiring allow you to bypass the internal crossover"

That is not always true.

Bi-wired speakers give you separate access to the tweeter crossover and the woofer crossover. You then run separate cables from your amplifier to the tweeter and woofer. The theory is that the sound will be cleaner if the same cable doesn't have to simultaneously carry the bass and treble signals. The subject of bi-wiring is somewhat controversial. Some people swear by it, and others swear they hear absolutely no difference!

If you extend the bi-wiring concept and use two amplifiers, one for the bass, and one for the treble, you are now Bi-amping.

Bi-amplification (bi-amping) uses two separate amplifiers, one for the treble, one for the bass. You can use the speaker's internal crossover, or an external electronic crossover.

Some speakers are designed especially for Bi-amping. They either allow you to bypass their internal crossovers, or have no internal crossovers at all, thus requiring you to use an external crossover.



Tom Rosback
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Not open for further replies.