AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted yesterday I am very close to buying a Samsung 50'' DLP. I feel like I havnt done enough research and would like feedback from real owners.

Please let me know what you like about the Tv and what the dislikes are. I plan on putting it in our bedroom which is about 19' X 24' and hope that its big enough for a 50''.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Couple of questions:

ALSO, if the "HDTV experts" here believe there is a better alternative than the Samsung DLP please let me know. My budget is about $4500.00.

Just like anybody else, I am looking for the best quality picture for the best quality picture, a 16:9 ratio and atleast a 42'' screen size.

Did you guys concider a Plasma display when purchasing the Samsung and why did you decide against it. Thanks

·
Registered
856 Posts
We have our Samsung HLM507W for about five months now, and we love it. It is awesome with a good signal, such as HD. You should seat about 8 feet from a 50". And you should be able to get one between $3,200 to $3,700.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had my 61" DLP for a month and absolutely love it. It brings a whole new meaning to television. Everyone that comes in my house is stunned by the picture quality.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've had a 43" Samsung HLM437W since November and it's the best television I have ever seen!

It never ceases to amaze me!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had my HLM507 for a little over a month now and I love it. You should be aware that these TV's are not "plug and play" for the lack of a better term, like the old CRT TV's nor is probably any other non CRT technology. When I initially hooked mine up I was not happy with analog cable but loved DVD's. I have since picked up a digital cable box which improved all the analog channels and I am now satisfied with cable TV. I haven't been able to tweak the Skin texture problems out yet (color banding, clay faces) and the black levels are not yet acceptable. I'm sure someone will figure out fixes for the late HLM's. One thing I found out with a big screen TV is that source material is a big factor in PQ.

As a result of preparing to buy this TV, I've learned a lot about all kinds of audio visual technology. I still have a long way to go, but I'm enjoying the journey. Hope this helps.

·
2,431 Posts
I don't own one yet and I am still on the fence. Sammy DLP, Sony 50XBR800 (its just a tad too big for the room :( ) or plasma. This thread is a little more refreshing then the 3 Blinking Light thread....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=190738

Can we get more comments on the color banding and rainbows?

Please post more positive replies.

Thanks,

Barry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Barrybud
Can we get more comments on the color banding and rainbows?
My page HLM507 (which is linked below) attempts to document these artifacts.

As I note on my page, although I have experienced all of the image artifacts reported by other users, I am more than satisfied with this TV. I've had it for a little over 3 months now, and it still amazes me every time I turn it on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got the Panasonic 52" DLP and I couldn't be happier with it. It's awesome! I've even tried to look for all the things that people are worried about (rainbows, etc.) and I can't find any flaws.

·
Registered
39 Posts
[/b][/quote]Can we get more comments on the color banding and rainbows?

Please post more positive replies.

Thanks,

Barry [/b][/quote]

"So it is written, so shall it be done". (Yul Brenner in The Ten Commandments with fists on his hips and chest out)

Color banding and clay faces, I refer to this as "lack of skin texture" because skin occasionally looks flat or washed out, kinda sorta like an over exposed photo but not white, tan. I THINK this issue has been ironed out on the older HLM's, so I'm waiting for the solution for the newer HLM's.

Rainbows....I finally saw rainbows the other night after a month of having this set, and looking for them multiple times....I was tired......the movie credits were rolling....I yawned......my eyes watered and my vision blurred and I caught a glimpse of a rainbow for a split second.

"You gotta be frickin kiddin me" this is what the fuss is all about.

RAINBOWS ARE A NON ISSUE FOR ME.

" I LOVE MY 507"

"I'M SOMETIMES A CHEAP *******, BUT I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH I PAID FOR THIS SET, IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY"

"I'D DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT"

"WIDE SCREEN TOTALLY ROCKS"

"NO BULL"

Are you convinced yet?

·
Registered
217 Posts
If Panasonic can fix that flickering issue on the 52" DLP, then I'd go with it. I think it has better PQ than the Samsung. Having said that, I do own a 61" Samsung DLP. Good signal looks good. Bad signal looks poor. The color banding (from DVD source) is still an issue with the newer HLN series.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's no flickering issue on my 52" Panasonic. I read all these posts about flickering, rainbows, etc. and purposely look for them or try to see them on my television. No luck. That's a good thing!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ConceptVBS
I dont own a DLP but I've seen more "rainbows" on the Panasonic than the Samsung.
This has been reported by others as well, and it has been attributed to the Panasonic's use of a three-segment color wheel versus the Samsung's six-segment color wheel.

·
2,431 Posts
Do any of these DLP sets have a commercial skip feature? Lets say you are watching a show and its commercial break. You set a timer then go surfing. After the timer has reached zero it automatically brings you back to the original channel?

·
Registered
307 Posts
PANASONIC DL52, 2 MONTHS NO PROBLEMS COULD NOT BEMORE HAPPY WITH SET!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
We got a Samsung HLM617W in December - and we love it.

Recently we also bought HLN4365W for another room.

Regarding plasmas - paying high price for a lower resolution monitor with burn-in problems - no thanks.

These sets are all monitors only. There is no built-in tuner/PVR. You have to buy tuner/PVR's separately. Currently, you can get hi-def tuners, but only standard def PVR's. Many of these PVR's have commercial skip features. High def PVR's with similar features have been announced and should be avaialble in the next few months.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.